Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2006 Fishing Regulations - some clarifications
I recently read through the 2006 Fishing Regulations booklet and had a few questions in my own mind that I thought would also be confusing to some of you. I emailed the DNR and asked them to clarify these for me. Here's my questions and their answers:

On page 10 it states: "Once a limit of fish has been reduced to possession, no culling or live well sorting of that species is allowed."
-- What action is it that reduced a fish to possession?
-- Does that mean that while fishing for any fish, if we reach our limit, we can no longer fish for them unless it's catch and release only?

Page 10:
Reduced to possession is when an individual decides to put the fish in a cooler, live-well, bucket, on a stringer, etc. instead of releasing it immediately back into the water or after catching it and immediately taking a photo.

Once you have a limit of fish in your possession (that includes the freezer at home or cooler at the camp site, etc), you are limited to catch and immediate release.

Page 11: "Possessing or transporting white perch, ruffe, round goby, black carp, bighead carp, grass carp, or silver carp is unlawful, except when taking them to the DNR."
-- Do we need to call the DNR before we start transporting them? Are we able to take the smaller fish such as the white perch, ruffe, and round goby for display in a home aquarium?

Page 11:
If possible, it is a good idea to call the DNR office and let them know you are coming. Or you can call the conservation officer or state patrol. Otherwise, you should be taking the most direct route to the nearest office.

No. You may not take these fish home for display in an aquarium.

Paged 12: "A person who stores fish for another must plainly mark the package, in ink, with the name, address, and fishing license number of the owner, and the number of fish in the package."
-- If I were to catch a limit of fish for a family and no one in that family has a fishing license, nor a place to store the fish, does that mean I can't store them for that family and have a limit of fish for myself?

Page 12:
The law allows you to gift fish to another person as long as you prepare a receipt with the following information and give it to the recipient at the time of gifting: name and address of donor, name and address of recipient, date of transfer, number and species of fish, and the donors license number or description of how it was legally acquired. The law provides for others to store fish for someone else as long as they are marked as stated on page 12.

Page 25: Special regulations for "Bald Eagle Lake (Anoka, Ramsey, and Washington Counties) muskellunge: Minimum size limit 48" northern pike:"
-- There's nothing mentioned for the northern pike. What is the special regulation for them?

Page 25:
Bald eagle doesn't have a northern pike regulation. This text was suppose to be eliminated.

Page 25: "Black Bass Lake (Mille Lacs County) Use of gas or electric augers, aqua-views, and other electronic fish-finding devices are prohibited"
-- Does the "other electronic fish-finding devices" refer to flashers and fish locators from a flotation device (float tube, boat, canoe, etc)?

Yes. The equipment you mentioned is included.

Page 32: "Red Wing Pottery Pond (Goodhue County) trout: Continuous season. Possession limit 3 with only one over 16".
-- Does this mean that there is no closed season for the trout on this pond?

Page 32:
There is no closed season for trout on the Red Wing Pottery Pond.

Page 59: "No person may erect a dark house, fish house, or shelter within 10 feet of an existing dark house, fish house, or shelter."
-- Does this include the linkable Clam shelters? Or are they considered a single shelter once they're linked?

Page 59:
Once the linkable shelters are attached to each other they become one shelter and this law does not apply. As one shelter, remember that it then becomes illegal to spear and fish out of them at the same time.
[signature]
The DNR has some more clarifications to the regulations. Here they are:

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources issued the following
clarifications for the 2006 Fishing Regulations handbook:

- "Using whole or parts of game fish, goldfish or carp for bait is unlawful in Minnesota." Goldfish are incorrectly included in the definition of minnows on page 4.

- "One walleye over 20 inches is allowed in a daily limit." More than one walleye over 20 inches is allowed in possession if the fish are caught on subsequent days. The information on page 5 is incorrect.
[signature]