Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry report 2/7/06
Fished Strawberry this morning with my Dad, a friend, and his son. We strapped on snowshoes and headed out about 7:00 AM. It was -10 degree's when we started. This is about 3-4 more inches of powder today than on saturday afternoon. There is at least 18 inches of snow on top of the ice and the slush layer is now about 6 inches deep. The slush was not a problem until we took the snow shoes off when we were ready to fish. We fished the same exact holes we fished on saturday afternoon. Some snow had drifted over them but once we found them they only had about 1/2 inch of ice over them and we could easily break it and not have to re-drill any holes. SO BE CAREFUL, THE HOLES FROM THE WEEKEND HAVE NOT REFROZEN! The new snow from saturday night must have insulated just enough that things are not refreezing even though the nighttime temps are really cold. In the attached picture you can see the swimming pool I had around my fishing hole. Made it tough to get fish back down the hole. Walking around is a chore at best with deep snow and slush. I don't think you could get a wheeler anywhere on the lake (except for maybe at the marina where it MAY be packed down???........)

It was a beautiful blue sky and sunny morning with no wind. Couldn't ask for any better. The bite was steady all morning from 7-10:30 when we left. We iced about 35 fish using the normal tubes, white plastics, and mostly minnow chunks with scent. All were slot cutts. We caught 3 over 21 inches but none bigger. About half the fish were suspended at mid depth (12-15 feet) and half were on the bottom. Surprisingly today some of them hit like a freight train and practically hooked themselves and the rest were the standard Strawberry light bite. It was another great morning at the Berry.
[signature]
Good report BigCat.. Sounds like you gave those Cuts some needed exercise!
[signature]
It was a fair trade off....I got plenty of exercise snowshoeing through deep powder for 1/2 a mile while dragging a heavy sled and the fishes got their morning workout as well. What a deal!
[signature]
Thanks for the report Bigcat. Sounds like you got a workout, but had a great day fishing!
[signature]
I was also their yesterday! I got their at 7am and it was -7 over in the Jakes bay area and you got it the snow is pretty deep now sure glad I had my snowshoes, the fishin was pretty good from 8am-10am landed about 15 cuts all in the slot biggest being 21" still haven't heard of anyone getting into the bows?? but it was a real nice day[Smile]
[signature]
Forgot picture of 21"!!
[signature]