Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your moderator has lost it
[cool][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][#0000ff]Just hadda get my tube in da watta. Believed the reports. Headed for Willard ready to rumble with some crappies, wipers, wallies or whatever. No pride, just anxious.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe and I rolled up to the North Marina about 9 AM. Air temp 23. Still major ice on the eastern 2/3 of the marina. Walked out on the docks on the south side. Evidence of fishing through holes drilled around the docks, but the ice looked about 2". No thank you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There had been open water from the ramp out into the lake. Skim ice for about 50 yards out from the ramp this morning. Having broken through my share of skim ice before, we launched the tubes and started rocking our way towards the open water channel.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Made good progress for the first few feet. Then the skim ice turned into 1/4" ice and then 1/2" ice. It finally became about an inch thick within a few yards of the open water in the channel. Both TubeBabe and I were kicking and rocking and rolling, side by side, trying to break the ice up. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We were stopped dead by the thicker ice. Then, I developed major muscle spasms in the hamstring areas of both legs. Game over. I managed to thrash my way back to the ramp, stood up and worked out the knots and decided to bag it. The breeze coming in from the lake looked like it was going to finish the job we started before we left.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We did meter some fish at all depths out to about 16 feet, where our forward progress ended. We vertical jigged with a few different jigs and baits but no bites.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There were a few folks that came and went over on the docks while we were playing icebreakers. Nobody stayed long.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Water temp was 36 and the air temp just the same as we drove off to Taco Bell. Got a lot of exercise, but no fishing. Make that a LOT of exercise. Shoulda launched off the point in open water but that wouldn't have been half as much fun. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It was a pretty morning and we got to watch a couple of bald eagles flying around.[/#0000ff]
[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=14330;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] FROZEN DOCKS.JPG [/#333366][/url](138 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=14331;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] SKIM ICE TO OPEN CHANNEL.JPG [/#333366][/url](99.0 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=14332;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] ICEBREAKER AT WORK.JPG [/#333366][/url](258 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=14333;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] THICK SKIM ICE.JPG [/#333366][/url](154 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=14334;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] GIVING UP.JPG [/#333366][/url](102 KB) [/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Hey Tube,

You are truly blessed, having a wife that is just as passionate (crazy?) as you are about our beloved past-time.
[signature]
Boy! I've been treated like a "guest" before, but I hate it when I treat myself like a guest after clearing my cache.

z~
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That's okay, my brother. We know you well enough by now to grant those little dispensations of overlooking your penchant for failing to log back in after "dumping your cookies".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No, it will not be long. In fact, that whole area was open water two days ago. But, the nighttime temps dropped low enough to refreeze it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]"DESPERATE TUBERS"? Now, there is an idea. Not a good one, but still an idea. I don't know how many other wackos there are out there in "tuberville", but I could certainly contribute some doozy stories. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Ice breaking is something I have done before, so that 'twern't nuttin'. I have tubed heavy surf in the ocean, floated down nasty rapids, launched and beached off big ragged rocks, rapelled down the sides of rock quarry walls to fish the ponds below, dragged my tube across hundreds of yards of deep snow to be able to launch in open water, fought my way out of raging tidal currents in Mexico, fended off amorous sea turtles and sea lions, etc. Oh yeah, I have also been towed around by big catfish, sturgeon, salmon, stripers, stingrays and sharks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Desperate? NO. Fishing without all the lures in my tacklebox? MAYBE.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Just when I thought that I had it bad. I was getting ready to complain about our temps in the mid to upper 80s. (Supposed to be 90 sumpthing today.) But I did hold back because I know that somewhere else it is always hotter and in other parts it is always cooler.

I had an idea for Uncle Z. The next time he dumps his cookies, save them and mail em out to the extreme tubers. You just paste them on the side of your tube and they work just like ice cutters.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I had always heard that the definition of heredity is "What the parent of a gifted child believes in". [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I know you inherited some of my finer qualities (fishing) but I gotta suspect that some of your other (thinking) traits must have come from the other side of the gene pool. Then again, you are somewhat creative so I guess I gotta own that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let's all be kind to Uncle Z and his cookies. He fishes good and posts purty pitchers fur us to gawk at. We'll keep him in the fambly.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Fambly is fambly. Uncle Z can stay anyways. I like his pics too.[cool]
[signature]
Glad I'm not disinherited for having a senior moment.

Glad I'm not disinherited for having a senior moment.

Oh, am I repeating myself again? Sorry.

I'm goin' to the Sportsman's Expo tomorrow so there won't be any fishing this week. That's really too bad 'cause right now we're having a little mini false spring. Temps yesterday were about 60 plus. Sun is smiling in the sky. Gently breeze. The trout are probably cruisin' and jumpin'. My timing really stinks.

z~
[signature]
yeah well, we have to deal with this damn 80 degree weather [Wink]............

at
[signature]
[#505000]You know Pat if you started eating a lot more cheese burgers in the fall you can bulk up and get enough extra weight on to break that extra thick ice. Now all you need is a double hulled tube and a little more slope on the bow of your tube to get you up on the ice. [Wink] [/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]I love to float but I'm afraind my floating gear is hung up till the bears start to wander out again in the spring. This is auger season.... although it's been a pretty lousy ice season so far!! I think someone forgot to tell the fish they can bite when it's cold too. No skunk yet but it's been close a couple of times[/#505000].
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Your logic is good, in theory. Bulking up for extra winter insulation seems like a good idea. However, when I had to fight that extra padding, to get that tube arockin', it plumb wore me out.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What I need is more common sense, not a retrofitted icebreaker float tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Looking forward to some carp killin' and cat smackin' with you guys this year. I have a pontoon now too. Gonna get it tricked out soon and post up the pics.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Where you at ATFishing?? We had 92 in the SFV. Thank God for AC![cool]
[signature]
TN2, I'M IN PICO RIVERA JUST NORTH OF DOWNEY IT'S ALWAYS ABOUT 10 DEGREE COOLER THAN IN THE VALLEY, I'M ONLY 20 MINUTES FROM THE OCEAN.

AT
[signature]
It's all good bro.

We need to hook up sometime on a couple of tubing trips. Fresh and Salt. I am in the West end of SFV and about 25 to 200minutes from the ocean depending on traffic.[cool]
[signature]
TN2

THAT SOUNDS LIKE A WINNER. I'M SELF EMPLOYED SO I CAN FISH WEEKENDS OR WEEKDAYS WITH ENOUGH NOTICE (3 DAYS) LET ME KNOW. I LIKE TO TUBE CHERRY, PERRIS, PUDDINGSTONE, SARL, CABRILLO, HAVE NOT DONE NPH YET BUT I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO IT. PM ME

ATFISHING
[signature]
Hi there TubeDude,

Recently saw a special on a new breed of icebreaker. I believe it's atomic powered. The bow design has been changed from a design done in the 60's.

Surely you could check it out on the web and modify one of your tubes accordingly for those ice flows!?

Saw... heh heh heh.... an ice auger that used super-heated water to melt ice too! All you'd hav ....... well I guess I shouldn't go there!

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks fer your kindly concerns, Ron san, but I don't plan to take up icebreaking as a career. Not even a hobby. If I did, mind you, I would go properly fitted the next time. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hmmmm. Methane powered gas auger. 2 dozen bean burritos. That should about do it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Easy on the beans papa san. We don't want to sink Cali before it's time. Is "that" the big one they were referring to???[pirate]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No worries, Son san. California is "upwind" from Utah. Might be a concern to Colorado though. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As the old song goes..."The Rockies may tumble..."[/#0000ff]
[signature]