Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What thrust for my little boat? Please help!
I am going to purchase a transom mount trolling motor for my little 16ft Deep V aluminum boat. What size thrust do I want? What models are best? What do I need vs. what would I want?

What is a good battery for this boat? I currently have an 18HP Johnson outboard with pull start and no other electronics. Someday I will have a fish finder on this little "sea worthy" vessel known as the "Clampette", but for now the only electronics will be the Minn Kota or similar.

How long can I realistically troll with the motor without running out of charge?

As you can tell, I am new to the boat ownership game and last year earned a crash course education in small boat engine repair. Now I am ready to move a little further. I have been belly boat bound for many years so this is a new venture for me. Seems that I can much more easily bring the kids along with a boat vs a float tube. That could get cold!

Thanks for the help!

Wolverine 209
[signature]
Well my 36 lbs thrust min kota pushes my boat just fine for trolling for trout. How long it will last depends on how good of a battery you buy. Not all batteries are the same. I use a trogan scs225 for the trolling motor. I use the same trolling motor on my boat and poontoon and the battery last me at full trottle for around 4 to 5 hours. If you have any more questions feel free to pm me.
[signature]
A standard 12 volt of 36 lbs or better will do for you. On a side note I would spend my $ on a depth sounder before an electric. Your fishing blind, the only thing an electric motor will do for you is allow you to fish blind quietly.
Get a depth sounder then use the 18 hp to find the fish then stop and fish. At least you'll know there are fish there. The wind will often help you troll. Drift with it or motor against it to get slower trolling speed.

Sports has Cuda 168 on sale for $100. Not a bad unit for the money.
[signature]
I'm in the same "boat" as you are (pun intended). I just purchase a 15' aluminum boat with an 18 horse so I could start taking the kids. My dad has a 16' v-hull and 30 lb Minkota barely moves it, it really has trouble if there is any wind. He ended up gettin a 46 lb thrust and that moves it really quite well. A little bigger trolling motor also makes a great backup if the 18 hp ever goes down. It is worth the extra $50 for the extra thrust.
[signature]
The "rule of thumb" is 2 - 2.5 lbs thrust for each 100 lbs of boat. This includes everything the boat also of course.[Smile]
[signature]
I have a Motor Guide PTSv 24 volt with 82 lbs for my 19 foot deep-v and love it. I can troll a good part of the day at trolling speed. However, I agree with Troll, I'd spend the money on a good (Lowrance) graph first, then a pair of good electric downriggers, then the trolling motor. If you troll a bunch, marking the fish, and getting the lure or bait in the strike zone is more important the being quiet.
[signature]
I guess it depends on what kind of fishing that you do. I'm still dreaming of the bow mount but I have a 36 LB mounted on the transom. I mostly creep along the shoreline throwing grubs or dropshot ON THE FINDER. I must agree, you can troll all you want, but until you know where the fish are...well anyways. Your depth/fishfinder is just as, if not more important, as your means to get there. I speak from experience, unfortunatley. Good fishfinder, good motor=good fishing. Do you plan on "trolling" or "controlled area" fishing?
[signature]
Thanks for the help guys!

I will purchase a nice fish finder down the road, but I need the motor as a secondary way to get off the lake as my outboard has proven to be less than reliable. Eventually I will replace the outboard, in the meantime I would like to go drag triple teazers and humdingers around the lake with my little ones.

I actually use a friends little fish finder regularly as well. It is just a little finder he uses on his pontoon boat but it works fine for the intended purposes. I have also found that sometimes a fish finder can be a way of building frustration. You know, seeing them but the still don't strike[pirate]

I will be purchasing a 46 lb transom mount minnkota unless I find some screaming deal on a bow mount that I can't pass up.

Wolverine209
[signature]
That will be a good motor for your boat. You'll need a battery also, a deep cycle. I use the biggest one Costco sells and it works good for me for the $. Gells are better but lots more $.

As for bow mounting there are lots of ways to mount a stern motor on the bow, it won't be foot control but boats are easier to steer from the front in any kind or wind. It is actually very easy to turn the head around so the controls point into the boat.

When you get your motor post up and we'll help you.
[signature]