Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Never say never! BEAR LAKE IS FROZEN!!
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black]Fishing Report and Conditions at Bear Lake[/black][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black]Monday, February 13, 2006[/black][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black][/black][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black]Never say never!!!! As of Sunday night, Bear Lake is approximately 99% frozen and boats can no longer be launched for fishing. The ice thickness varies from just a skim to approximately 3" in some places. If the cold, calm weather remains, the ice should be thick enough for ice fishing in a few days, however, due to the large number of springs and methane gas vents in the bottom of the lake, you should exercise extreme caution when venturing out onto the lake if no other anglers have been on the ice. As of this morning I already saw two ice fishermen off the east side at the pump house who reported 3" of ice at that location. Father to the north off the South Eden delta, there was still some open water, but the remainder of the lake is now frozen.[/black][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black]Fishing remained good this past week prior to the freeze-up for both cutthroat trout and whitefish off the rockpile at Ideal Beach, also, don't overlook the rockpiles north of the Utah State Park marina. Both cutthroat and whitefish are feeding on cisco eggs over weedbeds and the rockpiles. If ice fishing is possible, anglers should fish with small jigs or vertical jigging spoons. Lures of choice include Swedish pimples, castmasters, and crippled herring. You might also try using a 8-12" dropper with an ice fly tipped with a salmon egg or waxworm about a foot below the main lure. Weedbeds are found parallel to shore in depths of 14-25 feet around the perimeter of the lake. On the west side of the lake try the new rockpiles just north of the marina or the weedbeds from Gus Rich Point south to the State Highway rest area. On the east side you can find weedbeds off of Val's Pump north to 1st Point and then in between 1st and 2nd Points. Using small lures and light line (even spring bobber indicators) can mean the difference between detecting light whitefish bites and not even knowing the fish are there. The whitefish fishing should remain good for another few weeks.[/black][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black]Come prepared for bitter cold and winter conditions at Bear Lake during the winter. Make sure to check your proclamation for all the current rules and regulations. The daily and possession limit for whitefish it is 10 fish and for cutthroat and lake trout it is 2 fish, either singly or in aggregate. Remember to immediately release cutthroat trout that are not fin clipped.[/black][/size][/font]
[signature]
Thanks Scott, what a strange year we have had weatherwise.
[signature]
Thats great news Scott, as warm as its been down here, I would never have though Bear lake was going to freeze this year. I guess the calm weather with little wind makes all the difference. I hope to hear a few reports this week before I make the trip up, thanks for keeping us informed on the conditions.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]WOOHOO! Now, we don't want any wind! Man, that's great, Scott![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
It has been bitter cold up here. It was a balmy 0 degrees this morning. If we can get by the next little front that is supposed to move through on Tuesday, I think there will be good ice for fishing the coming weekend. Like I said, I saw two guys out by the pump house today, but the ice still looks way to scary for me.
[signature]
Yipee! I'm going Ice fishing,I'mgoing Ice Fishing. Look out macks!
[signature]
This is awesome news!!! I hope for no wind and a good freeze for the next 10 days at least.
[signature]
Well the wind is howling up here this morning. I don't know if the ice will last. I will keep everyone posted. There already is an open water seam off the marina about 100 yards wide so it doesn't look good.
[signature]
Scott; thanks for the info on BL, this weekend is booked for my daughter's wedding. But if the ice is still on by the 24th I'm sure I will be on it fishing; Thanks for the report and keep them coming in.

#########################

If you know;; talk about it: if not,shut up![shocked]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I guess that means float tubes are out...for awhile anyways.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thanks for the report. Vedddy intermesting year on the blue pond.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I saw on one of the TV reports that the Bear Lake drainage is sitting on 146% of normal snowpack too. Think that will add some depth this year?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I think the snowpack is great, but sometimes it is misleading. The runoff into Bear Lake not only depends on the snowpack, but how wet the spring will be (especially in Cache Valley and Box Elder County). If it is dry in these areas, there will be more demand for stream flow from the Bear River which means less will go into Bear Lake. About tax day, April 15th, I might be a little more optomistic on the run off. We definitely got a good start, but now we gotta hope for a cold, wet spring to realize all that runoff into Bear Lake.
[signature]
Bummer about the wind, I guess if the wind hasn't died down by now, the ice won't last. I hope you have good news for us in the morning.
[signature]
I never would have thought that it was going to freeze this year. Guess i wil have to plan on ice fishing for now. Thanks for the info
[signature]