Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
another mantua slaughterfest
I went solo to mantua today for 4 hrs and gaught 50 fish. 2 10" bass, 2 10" perch and 15 keeper gills, no trout though, lots of small gills. fished with a sweedish pimple and a hand tied fly about 10 " below. The fly is tied on a size 18 dry fly hook and all it is is flourescent orange nylon floss wrapped to look like a rat finke(tapered body). I was in 12' of water and they were all within 1' of the bottom. Had something large on for a few seconds but a bad hook set ended that. I also heard 3 guys talking about catching 20" wipers in the north marina on blue/silver lipless cranks. They said they caught 8 in an hour this morning. Can't wait till the "eyes" start movin to the west dike. LH2[laugh]
[signature]
[cool]Cool. Glad you got into 'em too. Boy, it sure would be nice to chase them gills without the city out there! Maybe I'll call in sick tomorrow...

12 feet seems to be a good depth for them, as that's right where lavaman and I were nailing them this weekend, just a little NorthWest of the city on the South East side. I think those 'gils have had a really nice spawn the last year or so as there's TONS of them, and lots of small ones too (good for the future of the fishery).
[signature]
Wipers? At Mantua? Hmmmmm...
[signature]
my bad! I failed to mention it was at willard. the only place with wipers(lol)
[signature]