Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Youth Fish Fair (specifically aimed towards kids) on February 25
Feb 25: FishFair
FishFair in Crystal, MN

Free Youth Fish Fair (specifically aimed towards kids) on February 25

A Youth Fish Fair event, co-sponsored by KTIS Radio, Crystal Pierz Marine and Kingdom Oil, will be held on Saturday, February 25 from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM at Crystal Evangelical Free Church, 4225 Gettysburg Avenue North, New Hope, MN. Admission and parking is free. Activities are coordinated for all levels – from novice to the more experienced.

At the Fish Fair there will be a live trout pond, virtual fishing simulators, free fishing products, fishing vendors, a fishing carnival, games, food, camp displays, informational booths, hands-on demonstrations, live broadcasts on KTIS Radio, seminars and local fishing personalities. Prizes will be awarded to participants. The first 500 youth will each receive a bag of goodies to take home.

For more information, please contact Thomas Goodrich, Executive Director of Renewing Hope Resources at 612-987-5466 or Doris Nelson, Media Relations at 763-221-5939.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, how did the youth fair go? Love to see events to help kids learn how to appreciate fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My wife and I have volunteered this year to be fishing coaches in the Utah Youth fishing Program. We will work with our own group of five young anglers each week. Really looking forward to it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Funny you ask this question when you did. I wasn't able to make it but at the Midwest Sports Show yesterday I talked to one of the people who helped out. He said they had a great crowd, raised a ton of money that went toward helping out people in the inner city.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I've always had a soft spot for "inner city" kids. In my younger years, while living in California, I helped out with a scout troop that spent time every summer hiking along the Muir Trail in the Sierras and cleaning up camping areas that hikers had trashed.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Each spring, each of the scouts had an assignment to recruit another young man they knew to be from a "distressed" situation. Some were from single parent families. Some were just "bust outs". But, if they showed enough interest and determination, we got them outfitted (courtesy of local merchants) and whipped into shape to make the hikes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Of course we had some "melt-downs" and failures, but we also had some heart-warming successes. We had kids that had never got better than a C in any class suddenly motivated to getting straight A's. Once they discovered the outdoors and decided to pursue careers in it, they found they had to do better in school and that was the motivation they needed.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was lucky to grow up in a poor but outdoors oriented family. I learned the true value of hunting and fishing, and sharing those things with family members. It breaks my heart whenever I see kids that have never been exposed to any of the wonders of nature. They certainly have a distorted view of the world. I think those people are the ones that end up with PETA.[/#0000ff]
[signature]