Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ririe Report
I hit Ririe twice this weekend. On Saturday I arrived at about 8:00 and took all of my stuff out to my trout holes. I started fishing at about 9:00. I was guiding two scouts and a leader BSflies son in law was also helping me. Anyway the bite started out hot and everyone caught one fish and then it went dead. So the moral of the story if you take scouts make them get up earlier and get out there because they always miss the bite[Wink] The ones that we did catch were nice between 15-18". We grilled three of them for lunch on my little portable grill. The scouts left at one and the bite started at 2:00 again. I caught 5 more cutts and 1 Koke before I felt guilty enough to wander home at about 3:00.[Tongue] So a little slow but not bad over all.

Monday I took all three of my boys and my wife to Ririe. We arrived at about 7:30 and it took another hour to get the ice-house, auger, grill, heater, cooler etc... out to my holes. The fishing was steady but not fast until noon. We landed 9 cutts, 2 suckers, 1 Koke, and then it went dead. We left at about 3:00.

We were using paddle bugs and Berkely Nymphs for the trout in about 12-15ft of water. We were fishing over 60ft of water for the Kokes but only putting our swedish pimples 10-15 ft down.

People were killing the Kokes all over the lake. They just avoided my set ups. BSflies did well on them and he can report what happened. Kingfisheral also did well on the Kokes, I just missed them somehow. I saw stacks of them all the way back to the car. I also saw a nice stack of yellow perch by the island. They looked to be 9-11" long. It was a fun two days and it beat just about anything else I could have done.

How did the rest of you do this weekend?
Windriver
[signature]
Sounds like the catching at Ririe is starting to improve. Thanks for the report. I was too busy with other stuff during the extended weekend to go fishing. Yesterday the Snake by Blackfoot was completley iced over. That is something I don't see every winter.
[signature]
Nice report Windriver, it's always nice to catch a few kokes in with the mix but they sure can be hard to figure out at times. My favorite setup is a pink rat finkee tipped with a wax worm, some times it helps if it is below a small silver kastmaster. You just never know though, it depends on the lake but it is always fun trying to catch them kokes. WH2
[signature]
Windriver
It sounds like you did pretty good. I wish I was fishing this weekend but I was down in Saint George visiting family over the presidents day weekend. So you say that people were killing the kokes. Was there anything that people might have said that could help out? Were people catching them near our koke holes? I might have to try it this week.

Fight4not
[signature]
Hi, welcome back. Yes, there were Kokes being caught in the usual Koke holes. The time when they hit was unpredictable. Kingfisheral had to wait 4 hours on Friday and 5 hours on Saturday for them to come through, but when they did he limited out. Little pink ice flies with a flasher seemed to be the trick. 10-15 ft under the ice.

There were a lot of Kokes caught in deep water out by the trout holes. They just avoided me[cool].

I will not be able to go this week. My sons birthday party is Friday night and Sat we are going on a drive to look at the wintering elk and deer. In fact I may only be able to fish for a couple hours on Friday evenings for the next several weeks because my sons wrestling schedule will fill most of my Saturdays. Keep us posted.

Good Luck
Windriver
[signature]