Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BEAR LAKE - TUES 2/21/2006
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Fishing Report and Conditions at Bear Lake
Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Bear Lake is entirely frozen and ice thicknesses vary from 2"-6" around the lake. Temperatures have ranged from -15 at night to +15 during the day for the last week so ice should be getting thicker each night. Prior to freezing, slabs of ice shelved-up in many areas around the lake due to wind. Use caution when crossing these areas since the ice could be weak. At least one ice angler fell through this past weekend when crossing an area with shelved-up ice but his buddies were fishing on 6" of solid ice less than 5 feet away!

Ice anglers who have been fishing are doing fair to good for whitefish and cutthroat trout with an occasional lake trout. The rockpile has been the most popular area, but the rockpiles north of the Utah State Park marina should also be good. The whitefish that we sampled this past weekend were still eating cisco eggs so try using vertical jigging spoons tipped with salmon eggs or wax worms for these fish. Lures of choice have been Swedish pimples and castmasters with a 8-12" dropper down to an ice fly tipped with a salmon egg or waxworm. Use tube jigs and larger jigging spoons tipped cisco for the trout. Fish right on the bottom and keep changing water depths until you find the fish. The most productive depths on the rockpile have been between 35-40 feet and off the east side at 40-70 feet.

Come prepared for bitter cold and winter conditions at Bear Lake. Bring a rope to throw to someone in case they fall through and wear a life jacket when venturing onto areas without other anglers around. Also wear a pair of ice picks around your neck, on the outside of your clothing to help pull yourself out if you happen to fall through the ice. Make sure to check your proclamation for all the current rules and regulations. The daily and possession limit for whitefish it is 10 fish and for cutthroat and lake trout it is 2 fish, either singly or in aggregate. Remember to immediately release cutthroat trout that are not fin clipped.

I fished yesterday with a friend of mine and he outfished me but we both did good. We fished the rockpile in 35' of water using jigging spoons with droppers to ice flies tipped with rubber wax worms. About half the fish hit the spoon the other half the ice fly. When my friend switched to a tube jig with cisco he caught some cutthroat and one lake trout. We fished from about 9:30am to 1:00pm and ended up with about a dozen whitefish and 3 cutts and one laker. We were mainly targeting the whitefish and after watching an Aquaview I can tell you that there are still a ton of fish left for everyone down in the depths. We literally saw hundreds of whitefish and a surprising number of cutthroat trout and suckers cruising around too!
[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]Thanks for the report Scott: I was wanting a report on the Big Blue. Hope the ice continues to thicken by the weekend.[/size][/blue][/font]
[signature]
With as cold as it has been and its supposed to stay cold through the week, you'll probably want a power auger by the weekend! Just watch those shelved up areas, they are pretty spooky!
[signature]
[reply]
[size 1]Just watch those shelved up areas, they are pretty spooky! [/size]

[/quote]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I'll second that. I was on 4" of ice Friday and stepped next to one of those piled up areas and put a foot thru the ice into the water. They look like they are frozen but they can be thin and loose. I'll tell you, I was frickin' freaking for a split second![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Hey, Scott, do you have any info as far as access to the lake goes? Is Sweetwater going to plow down to the shoreline? Are there other aeas, like some of the roads in town, that folks can access the lake? Thanks![/size][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for the update Scott, we were headed up there yesterday but changed our plans at the last minute, it sounds like we should have stayed the course. Glad to hear the ice is still growing, lets hope the warm weather later in the week doesn't cause problems.
[signature]
Access is good at the Ideal Beach Resort (condo's). I talked to them today and they are charging $2 per head to get hrough their gate and down to the water. That's a very resonable price to save you from getting stuck or hoofing through over a hundred yards of foot-deep snow! You can drive down to the beach just south of Gus Rich Point, but you need 4 wheel drive since it is not plowed. I tried driving down to the lake shore at 150 South street and made it, but right below the high water line there is a spring that has kept the snow/ice from freezing. I just about got high centered here, but after that it is pretty easy access to the beach though a foot of snow. Again, the only place plowed out at this time is Ideal Beach Resort. There are no plans for plowing anthing else as far as I know. So, bring a snowmobile or 4 wheeler if you want to leave your rig up next to the road and save yourself a long walk. If not, you can drive down to the water's (ice's) edge in a couple of places but use caution due to about a foot of snow on the shoreline.
[signature]
I got down to the beach behind Ideal Beach yesterday. They have done a good job plowing, as I was able to get my Honda Civic down to the beach and back without incident. They also plowed a bigger parking area while I was out on the ice, so access is good. My question is - is there ever anyone there at the gate house before 8 am to let you through? The fishing was great from about 8:30 when I finally got on the ice until about 11:00 and then it shut right down. It would have been nice to be able to get out earlier.
[signature]
That has always been the problem when parking there, they don't open early, unless you spend the night there at the condos. WH2
[signature]