Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Results from FRI w/pic
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I fished the rockpile today and started at 7:00am. BLM and Polokid beat me out there, but not by much. It was much cooler today, but got nice around 3:00pm. The ice did not melt much yesterday and what did melt refroze last night. I had a 4 wheeler and there were other 4 wheelers out there. At the peak today there were 62 people on the rockpile and other scattered around the lake both north and south of the rockpile. I would imagine there will be hundreds tomorrow since everyone has waited two years for the lake to freeze!

Anyway, my report: I fished in 35 feet, strictly for whitefish with a 1/4oz., 1" long, jigging spoon. See picture for detail. I fished for almost three hours total and landed 46 whitefish most of which were Bonnevilles (10 of largest ones went home with me). BTW...A friend added his one extra to the picture so there are 11 and I'm did not over limit. I was jigging right on bottom and hanging up regularly but not losing lures since I was able to jiggle them off the rocks. Some anglers around me were doing much slower but you really have to pay attention to the bite. The bite is light and I had to aggressively jig then dead-stick it for a second or two then aggressively jig. The fish would hit either on the dead-stick or immediately after starting to jig again. I tipped the jigging spoon with rubber maggots. The second picture is a close up of a Bonneville whitefish stomach/intestine that so you can see what they are eating right now. It is stuffed with Bear Lake whitefish eggs.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]All in a mornings work!
[inline "Whitefish2 angled 2_24 small.jpg"] [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Bonneville whitefish stomach stuffed with Bear Lake whitefish eggs!
[inline "WF stomach w_knife small.jpg"][/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Sounds like a very nice day on the ice! Thanks for the update.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good report and nice pics. That little jig looks kinda familiar. I was using one just like it today on Jordanelle. Maybe you get yours the same place I do. I know the guy that makes them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2] BLFG,

Thanks for all the good updates you have been keeping us up on these last few days.

Boy, if I wern't so busy at work I would have taken yesterday or today off. But as it is, if I go tomorrow, I suspect I will be batteling the masses.
[/font][/size]
[signature]
BearLake Fish Guy,

It was nice meeting you yesterday and just wanted to thank you for your help. The fishing was great and best of all my friend and our two kids had a great time.

We ended up keeping about 18 whitefish and turned about the same amount back. Its interesting catching those fish, if we were more than 6" of the bottom we wouldn't catch anything. We had to bounce our jigs right off the rocks.

We caught are fish on small chartreuse 1/32 or 1/64 ounce jigs. I am going to try to get out 1 or 2 more times next week.

Thanks again,

CADresults
[signature]
Thanks BLFG for the report! I sounds like you had a stellar day of fishing.

I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty to post a link to your report on the Idaho boards as well.

Were all of the whitefish in about that size range or were a lot of them dinks? Thanks
[signature]