Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rifle trigger work
Ok, I have a Savage 7mm Rem Mag rifle that I bought used a couple of years ago. Unfortunately it looks like someone tried to do a little trigger work at one point. It is really a hair trigger, but has messed it up a bit and it isn't safe. I'm afraid they may have worked it to the point it will go off if jarred. Also, if I hit the safety it binds up the safety and trigger mechanism.

So, after all that, does anyone know of someone that is good at fixing something like this? I think I can just buy a whole replacement trigger assembly online for not a lot of $$$, but I would prefer to have it worked by someone that knows what they are doing in that area.

Thoughts?
[signature]
One gun writer once wrote, "There are two kinds of people who work on guns; competent gunsmiths and MORONS!" Do not by any means trust the trigger you have! Probably the best thing you can do is buy the new trigger and have it installed by a reputable gunsmith.
[signature]
Yeah, there is no way I would pack that gun anywhere loaded. I would only load a shell into it if I were to fire it right away, and even then I'm very cautious loading it because I don't trust it.

I have a lot of guns and I'm extremely cautious with their use and who I let use them. I don't take these things lightly.

Anyway, I was just hoping someone could point me to a competent gunsmith that won't take me for all I have.
[signature]
There is a really good gunsmith up in Ogden on 24th St. His name is Franz, but be careful, he is very brash. Call him and ask what his favorite beer is, take a case with you, and you might get off relatively unscathed. Also ask him if he will work on a Savage...he is partial about which guns he works on. Kinda like the soup nazi.
[signature]
I haven't had to have anything worked on since I moved "up north" a few years ago from St. George. I know a couple of great guys down that way if you want to make the drive.[Wink] If it were me, I would simply go to your favorite gun store and ask them. They should have a good gunsmith on staff or be able to point one out. Ask at enough places and you are sure to have enough info to shop around.
<EDIT>
I just talked to my brother-in-law as I was posting this. He recommends Impact Guns in Ogden if you are in the neighborhood. All he shoots is pistols/revolvers and says they have always done a great job on his guns with no funny business.
[signature]
I had Franz do work for me and Thekillerbee is right, he does good work. I guess it depends on where you live, in Salt Lake on redwood road there’s Doug’s Shoot’N Sports, their ad says they do gunsmithing phone number is 966-1802. Sorry, I don’t have the phone number for Franz. WH2
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font]
[signature]