Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motor Help
I have a 82 Merc 20h.p. outboard motor that has the low speed, but the top speed doesn't seem to engage. Anyone know any good mechanics or point me in the right direction? I usually went to Eagle marine, but don't know if Rick still works on boats, can't find a number.
[signature]
Does that motor have 2 coils? If it does you might have 1 coil bad 1 coil good. I have had similar problems with another motor. You just see which one is not sparking to see which coil is bad. Hope this helps. Pikeman Go Fish
[signature]
I'm tearing it apart tonight to see if anything obvious is wrong w/ it. Hopefully its nothing major. I'll check the problem. Thanks for the input though i'll check it. Are there part books you can buy for your motor like you can you're car?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Give Lee, of Lee's Marina in Hyrum, a call if you get stuck and can't figure it out. He works on older motors like your 82'. 435-245-7727. Good Luck![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I had the same problem on a 1975 20hp mercury, I replaced both coils, not the problem, I replaced the switch box, that was it. you either have a bad coil or a bad switch box. I think I still have the other coils if you want I can give them to you. let me know if you want them. I'm at work until 7 in the morning. later chuck
[signature]
I have both coils and a impeller with the housing, both coils and the impeller are new, the impeller housing is used. your welcome to it all if you want them for free. just let me know. heres a pic of it.
later chuck
[signature]
Chuck, how much did it cost you to get your motor fixed? My motor has 2 coils on the back and the guy from Halstrom's Marine said the high speed coil was under the fly wheel but I'm having a hard time locating it. I was just wondering what you paid to get it fixed. Also who did your work? Any help is appreciated.
[signature]
I did the work my self, I think the coils coast my about 40 bucks for both, the switch box was 170 bucks. changing these parts is not too bad to do yourself. the switch box is color coded wire and the coils are pretty much straight forward. you shouldn't have to remove the flywheel, I didn't have too, unless there was a design change in the motors from 76 to 82. the coils should be in the back.
the switch box should be on the left side of the motor, it's about 6 in. long and 4in. high. hope this helps, later chuck
[signature]
I have a '88 Merc 20 that had the same symptoms. Idled fine (as fine as they idle anyway, which in my opinion sucks) and would rev up in gear in the driveway, but not under load...my coil grounds were loose and/or corrode. I loosened them up, and retightened tight...end of problem! Its amazing one both cylinders will do for your top end speed!
Hope this helps.
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.