Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catfish rigging
Question for the catfishermen/women out there. I'm looking at putting together a new ROCKIN combo from Cabelas/BPS. Its going to be the Salt Striker baitcast reel on a King Cat Pro 71/2 foot rod. Maybe 8 foot if I HAVE to go that long. The other choice is a Catmaxx rod and reel from BPS. Either way, I'm thinking about spooling up with some knarly ol braid but I have a concern. Do cats care about having braid to the hook or do I need to tie in a 15 lb leader? I don't want to spool up with heavy mono...it'll either be some sort of braid or a Spiderwire/Fireline situation. Thanks for the input. I'm stoked about spooling up with this stuff and using the new combo because I really want to stick a huge cat this year..... I think i have the spot picked out for the battle and I'm sure the pics will bear ample witness to the effectiveness of what I have planned for our whiskered buddies but since I have a couple months yet, I want to get the kinks ironed out before I hit the water....

Now that I've calmed myself down a bit... two more questions... have any of you used the Cyalume light sticks for fishing at night (as opposed to a head lamp or flashlight)? It appears they have a clip so you can hook them onto a tube or a vest/waders.... Second, do any of you have experience with any of the above mentioned fishing equipment? Any input on the Salt Striker, Catmaxx, or King Kat equipment would be appreciated... I've thought about going with some Abu Garcia stuff too but after comparing, thinking, daydreaming, pricematching, these are the combos I came up with. Anyone with better ideas, please clue me in. Thanks folks. [Wink]
[signature]
[#505000]I don't know about all that other stuff. All I ever needed was a rod reel, and a big 4/0 circle hook with a hunk of carp dangling from it![/#505000]
[signature]
I know that will catch fish... thats basically the setup I used all last year [cool].... however, this year I intend to step it up a notch. I may never and probably will never hit the status of the Dude as the catfishing messiah (watch out for the lightning bolt) but I intend to get all sorts of up in some catfish business this spring and summer. CPR of course Bassrods.... LOL. Hence, the better equipment, revamping my catfish arsenal so to speak. I'm just looking for opinions on my potential choices for gear... if you've used it grand, if not, I'll let you know how it works. [Wink] I'm especially interested in reviews of the light sticks if any have used them.... the rest, well, I've pretty much decided its what I want but I'd like to hear success stories on the gear or if you have a nightmare experience with any of it, please, do tell.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Whew! Sounds like somebody's gettin' seeeerious. Good on ya.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Forget the urban legends. There are no 100 pound blue cats in Utah Lake. But, there are some 30 plus channels. People hook them every year, but most are using the standard 10 pound line with the drag hammered down...and that does not hold up long when you are attached to jaws (whiskers).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am not personally familiar with the gear you listed, but it sounds impressive. The main thing is a rod with enough backbone to set the hook in big hard jaws, line tough enough to withstand both the hookset and the battle and hooks that are both sharp and strong. Too many big fish fanatics do not balance everything up and they pop their line on the hookset with a rod that is too heavy for the line.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The superbraids are tough enough. You do not need the extra sensitivity, since cats are not known for their delicate bites. However, you may need all the help you can get if your monster kitty wants to play "in and out the bushes"...or wants to roll in the rocks. The big ones get big by knowing a few tricks that have sprung them in the past.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I suspect that you will be doing some night fishing. Cats do not have superior vision, even in bright daylight, so using the braid for a leader should not decrease your strikes. Heck, trotliners don't use leaders. They tie their hooks right onto the heavy nylon rope they use for the main line. And they catch some bigguns. No finesse needed.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have not personally used the cyalume sticks as a nighttime light source, but have read references of others doing so. I have always preferred to use an easily accessible headlamp, when needed, and to fish in the dark otherwise. Just something about being able to see the lights on the shore and the surrounding mountains in the moonlight that adds to the experience. Having "light pollution" on board makes it difficult to see beyond the fringes of the light. If you are going to have anything, consider a black light.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The really important thing is that you have a good feel for all of your gear. Learn it well in full light so that you can operate everything in the dark. The wrong time to wonder where the drag lever is is when a big ol biggun is contesting your right to keep some line on your reel.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you need some immoral support, I know a guy that has also been having visions of big catfish in his feeble old mind. Bout time we ganged up on em and rassled a few.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[reply]

Now that I've calmed myself down a bit... two more questions... have any of you used the Cyalume light sticks for fishing at night (as opposed to a head lamp or flashlight)? It appears they have a clip so you can hook them onto a tube or a vest/waders.... [/reply]

Here is my 2 cents on Cyalume sticks. Last year I used them a few times. The ones I got were only 1 1/2'' long and very skinny. I took a small piece of tubing that they fit into snugly and taped them to all of my poles that I used for night fishing. Every night I went out I just pulled the old stick and put a new one in. The ones I got were on ebay and were very cheap I think about $10.00 total for over 100 sticks. The red ones are not as visible as the green or yellow ones. But they make great night time strike indicators.

I still used a headlamp when the fish came on board and I had to rebait my hooks but its nice not to have a bright light beaming all the time.
[signature]
[#0000ff][size 1]"If you need some immoral support, I know a guy that has also been having visions of big catfish in his feeble old mind."[/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 1][/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 1]TD, I am getting old but not feeble yet (LOL).[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Ah man, I'm so glad you rang in on this. Let me know what you think of the terminal tackle. I'll describe the setup I have in mind. I am thinking about the baitcasting combo, with a 4/0 heavy wire Gamakatsu Octopus hook (Circle hooks in 4/0 are another possibility). After hearing your thoughts on trotliners and their method, I doubt I'll tie in a mono leader... just go braid the whole way. I don't know whether to go with a 1/2 oz egg sinker or just go like you do and toss the bait weightless.... do you think that weightless will still be heavy enough for me to pitch without getting snarls in my line? These rods that I'm planning on using are either MH or Heavy. Will a 7.5 foot MH have enough backbone? I figured it probably would... also, I read that these rods are made of a material called "E-glass" thats supposed to be the cats meow for catfishing (no pun intended..... ok, maybe a little bit) [cool] Anyway, I need to run down to Cabelas and see what they have in stock. I also have a trip planned to Vegas with my girlfriend this month so I can check out BPS while I'm there. You know, just kinda feel the goods and see if I like it all. Am I going too stinkin heavy for the cats?? I'm kinda concerned about that too Dude.... Or is that even a concern in this game? I just really want to get into some good fish this year and be able to provide written and visual enjoyment for the folks to see after I get off the water. I really hope I don't stock up on these things and then fall flat on my pile of cut bait. [pirate] I, for some reason, hadn't thought about the Cyalume light ruining my vision... I was thinking about using a red or green light and then tucking it in a pocket on the tube or down the front of my waders when I didn't need extra help with tying knots or adjusting bait. I agree with you TubeDude, there isn't much better than hearing the night noises on the lake under a pale patch of moonlight. Thats been some of the best nights of my life. Oh, by the way, I've printed out your instructional writeup on Utah Lake catfish... Its getting pretty worn from being studied... LOL. Oh and you might get an email or a PM from a guy on the DWR forum.. he asked my advice on cats in Utah Lake and I gave him what I could and then told him about your writeup and this site. Said to talk to Tubedude and see if you could give him more info. He was asking about getting into some good cats with his kids and what would be a good time to take them out. Thanks for providing your thoughts Pat, I really respect your advice and consider it very seriously, knowing that you speak from experience when you give your advice. Its nice of you to give me your thoughts on the matter.
[signature]
A couple years back, my brother caught a 10 lb.+ channel using 6 lb. test line and get this- he was using a bobber with a worm suspended down about 2-3'. A little trick he uses: He fills a crawler with air from a needle and this helps keep it out of the mud. He has caught a lot of cats and eyes out of UL and I can promise you that he knows his stuff. I plan on doing some catfishing this summer with him- we know a couple good spots down there that get little pressure.

Good luck with your catching the cats!! There are some big ones in there for sure!

Derek
[signature]
I think there is such a thing as going too heavy on your setup. IMO it takes most of the fun out of it. You may as well hook some bait to the hook attached to the winch on the front bumper of your truck and throw it out and once the fish hooks itself turn the winch on and crank em in. Pick out a medium or medium heavy rod with some feel to it and match a reel for size, capacity, and balance. Spool it with whatever you want. But don't go too heavy on the set up or there won't be any challenge. I would prefer to fight any fish with gear that is a little bit on the light side and use my skills and the drag how it is supposed to be used and be able to battle the fish one on one then just winch them in. Take it for what its worth cause sometimes when you go a little light the big one gets away!

As far as baitcasting reels go you can't go wrong with the Abu garcia ambassedor 5500 or 6500 series (either the C3 or C4 model)for cost and durability. I have several for salmon fishing and they are smooth casters and have great drags.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Do I know you?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Riley, Bigcat made some good points. You may be entering the realm of overkill. You will be prepared for the biggest cats in Utah Lake, but you may be restricting your enjoys.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I would say that med-heavy would be plenty. That is enough for big flatheads and blue cats, so it should tame even our largest channels. E-glass is good. It is more forgiving than pure graphite on large cats. You don't need to do a "Bill Dance" (broken rod) while rasslin' a biggun at boatside.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My heaviest cat tackle is a medium heavy 7 1/2 foot stick with a standard baitcast reel from BPS...nothing fancy, but functional. I spool with 14# Excalibur line and seldom use hooks larger than 2/0 octopus. Sometimes I use circle hooks in 4/0 or larger, depending on the size and type bait I am chucking.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For most of my cattin', I use a medium spinning rod and one of several decent medium sized reels loaded with 10# Excalibur. I actually catch more and bigger cats on that, than when I am targeting larger fish specifically. I have lost a couple of gorillas to the flooded tamarisks though.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I NEVER use weights. I always tie directly to my hook. A well tuned and adjusted baitcaster can huck a large kitty bait quite a ways. If you know how to use a revolving spool reel, and if you have your tension and magnetic controls adjusted right, there should be no problem with "professional overruns". And, if you are fishing on the water, from a boat, tube or toon, you shouldn't need to make long casts anyway, with proper positioning.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The decision one has to make is "quality or quantity". I am basically a light tackle kind of guy and enjoy catching lots of smaller fish on light tackle. I like a good battle and get no real enjoys out of winching in a fish overmatched by the tackle. I would rather catch more average sized fish, on lighter gear than to fish all night for one or two bites from the big boys.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The good news is that with a two pole permit, you can do both. And, if you are in the right spot, you can catch both numbers and the occasional biggun.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you have not used the superbraids much before, make sure you learn and practice the right kind of knots...and use some knot glue. That stuff is notorious for knot slippage. Big fish will challenge your best knots.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I did get a PM from the guy you referred to me. I forwarded some "light reading" to him. Sounds like he usually goes forth with a boatload of "bobber-baiter" kids. Great stuff.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
"[cool][size 1][#0000ff]Do I know you?"[/#0000ff][/size]
[size 1][/size]
[black]I think that we met once, but not certain. We may have also exchanged an email or two, but I may just be dreaming, because at my age I forget a lot -- darn halfeimers anyway.[/black]
[signature]
Hmmm Bigcat and Dude.... point taken. I do love the pull of even the medium sized cats. One thing I've kinda wanted, and the reason for me wanting the bigger reel is I want the bait clicker. It seems to only come in the largest sizes... [unsure] I would have no problem going with the Abu combo at Wally World for forty bucks (I think) but I want the clicker... that being said, I'm sure I could be convinced to just go with a medium weight rod.... like you guys say, to keep the fun in it. I just don't know if they make the rods I want in medium weights.... Its kind of a bummer. I know that I would prefer to go light but my options in that sort of tackle with the features I want are limited.... I guess its an eastern or Midwest fishermans game when you get into Cat only tackle. They seem to just make everything so big for the blues and flatheads they have out there... If I could get a nice stiff Medium weight rod with a 5600 reel and the clicker, I'd be a happy catman. Any ideas where I can find a combo of that sort or is it wishful thinking??
[signature]
On the knots Dude, I usually tie in a Palomar knot with my big hooks, bigger mono and Fireline. I'm guessing that Improved clinch or other "normal" mono knots don't work as well with the braid? On glue, would just normal superglue work? I have some of that "Pro's soft bait glue" thats kinda "supergluish" but I'm not sure thats the best thing to use.... Sorry I'm dragging this post out but I have all sorts of ideas running around in my head and like I said in the original post, I'm just trying to get it all sorted out before I hit the water and find out I've made some poor choices... I do understand sometimes thats the only way to figure it out though... [Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The only dumb question is one you DON'T ask...and it costs you time, money or fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I do not use braids, so I have not done a lot of experimentation. However, I have heard a lot of good things about using the "Uniknot" for attaching hooks and lures to braids...or for splicing two sections of line, using a uni to uni connection. Supposed to be pretty much slip proof. Here's a diagram.[/#0000ff]
[Image: uni_knot.jpg]
[#0000ff]Regular super glue works on the knots, if you need some xtra insurance. Most of the so called knot glues are some variation of superglue.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Why do you want a clicker? So you can have your own TV show and leave the clicker on to dazzle your unsophisticated audience? That stuff drives me wild.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You don't need a clicker if you pay attention to what is going on. When I fish with baitcast gear, I leave it in freespool but adjust the tension so that a fish can run line off without causing a backlash. I keep the rod pointed just slightly away, at an angle, to that I can watch the line and the rod tip. When a fish picks up the bait, I pick up the rod, leaving it in freespool and point the rod directly at the fish. When it stops its first run, I engage the spool and wait for the fish to start off again, pulling the line tight. With a circle hook you just tighten up and it's game on. With an octopus hook you need to pop them a time or two.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We all have our own preferences and ideas about what is best. If you want a clicker, then by all means get a reel with a clicker. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What I often do, if I am bank fishing or boat fishing and want an auditory signal of a bite, is to wrap a loop of line around a drink can (empty) and set it on a hard surface. When a fish hits, it tips the can over...tinkle, tinkle. The line keeps going out freely but there is no need to disengage a clicker button to keep from driving yourself and fishing partners wacko with that irritating clicker.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some guys like to use bells. Dingalings. They also require muss and fuss when you get a strike. A brief moment of inattention can cost you a fish. I once saw a guy almost get his finger removed at the first knuckle while fiddling with a rod tip bell and getting the line around his finger just as a big fish took off across the lake.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
A uni knot is my go to knot. I use it almost exclusively.
[signature]