Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua 3/5/06
Needed to try one last time on the ice, to hopefully catch a big Bow. Drilled 5 holes and moved around a bit, but no luck whatsoever. I did have a little Gil or Perch on, but he flipped off the hook and laughed at me. That was the only bite in 2 1/2 hrs on the ice.

Farewell Ice Fishing Season. It was a good winter, and my first at ice-cap fishing! It's safe to say that I'm addicted to the ice!

But let's bring on the Spring and warmer days!
(My fishing luck will change for the better!)

Derek
[signature]
Thanks for the report. What was the condition of the ice like? How many other folks were out there? Did anyone else get anything?
[signature]
Hi KJFN,

The ice was still, to my surprise, around 14" thick. It was a little soft on the bottom (slushy). The weather was perfect, and I enjoyed being out there on such a warm day.
There were other fishermen but they were all over on the east side trying to catch bluegills. I've caught so many of those pesky things, I didn't want to catch another- so that's why I hunted bows today.
All in all, there weren't a whole lot of people out on Mantua today; I wonder if most people gave up the ice?

Derek
[signature]
On Saturday, I fished the east side with the crowd and caught bluegill, perch, LMB and trout all from the same hole. It was a great day on the ice.
[signature]
Nice report! How many of each species did you catch? How long were you there? How thick is the ice over there on the east side?
[signature]
I fished from 9 until 12. I caught about 20-25 bluegill, 1 perch, 1 LMB and 1 rainbow. Nothing of any size. The largest fish was the LMB at 12". The ice was 14". My son stepped in an old hole that had a snow drift over it. That made our trip short. The fish were hitting white and green jigs tipped with wax worm about 6' below the ice. The best jig was a very small rubber jig with a 3/4" tail. Not a curl tail, it was more long and narrow.

There was a guy fishing near us that caught a 15" bass. It was the largest fish I saw all day.
[signature]