Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
baitcaster reel question
[Smile] hey guys i use the baitcaster reels for trolling and jigging but have'nt ever been able to cast one with out a big birds nest [mad]followed by a lot of cussing and untangling. my question is that i saw one on tv in the past that was just about impossible to back lash. when you casted with it had a little piece in the middle of the reel that would move up and down to keep the line from backlashing automatically for you. do any of you anglers use this reel or know where i can get one. i don't remember the name just saw it on a bass fishing program on tv. i'm wanting to learn how to use a bait casting reel please help me out if you can
thanks and good luck fishin trfishin
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Learning to cast with a revolving spool reel is like learning to type...or play tennis or golf...or whatever. It is better if you get some good instruction before you go off and try to learn by yourself. Then you don't have to unlearn bad habits.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most modern baitcasters include several adjustments you can make to help insure that you don't have "professional overruns". Some are more sophisticated and complicated than others. It does take some fine tuning to be able make long casts without creating a birdsnest. And, if you change the weight of the lure or bait you are casting, you need to adjust it each time you change, for best results.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The little thingy in the middle of the reel is probably the "levelwind". It makes sure the line is spooled up evenly when you wind it in. That helps with the backlash problem but the tension control and the magnetic brakes are far more influential in making good casts.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Don't know who you know or fish with on BFT, but we have a few members who fish with nothing but baitcast and others that use it regularly, along with spinning gear. There are places for both.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Do some surfin' on the web and you will probably find a lot of sites that can give you the "words" and maybe some pictures. But, as I said, you really need to have someone go over your tackle with you and show you how to make the adjustments to keep your casting from becoming a frustrating nightmare.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Like a lot of things, it is scary if you don't know how, but easy once you get the hang of it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
thanks tubedude for the information. i know what the level winder is in the middle of the spool that's not what i was talking about. it's on top of the baitcaster reel about were you would have your thumb to hold on to the reel and when you cast it it ratchets up and down while you cast and the line is coming off of the reel. maybe some of the other bass anglers will reply to this post and be able to help me out to thanks for the info. tubedude i'll keep researching it before i try to teach myself. trfishin
[signature]
The only baitcaster that I have seen with something extra in the middle is the Daiwa Viento. The piece in the middle is a twitching bar so that you can finesse twitch your bait as opposed to hand twitching/reeling.

One common mistake on the baitcast/conventional reels is that when many rely on the magnetic controls for the spool/antibacklash, sometimes we forget to readjust it according to the amount of weight that is put on it.

Example: If you are casting out 1/4 oz jig and set the cast control to handle it, then change to a 5/8oz jig or lure, you will then get a birds nest that is bigger than life.

Carefully adjust your setting to the amount of weight that you are going to be using and adjust according to your ability of casting.

I actually use a lighter setting for most of my lures only because I painstakingly learned how to use the thumb for that finnesse touch in the cast.

Practice! Practice! Practice!

I was always told about rule #1 in baitcasting: Don't be dumb use the thumb.[Wink]
[signature]
I think the reel you are thinking of is an Abu Garcia. I don't remember the model but I have one and I could check for you. They do have a little flapper on the top that controls a brake and prevents the backlash. You can also lock it down and use it just like any other 'C3' model. I don't think they make it any more but I'm not sure about that.
[signature]
In two weeks give me a call and I will take you out and give you an on the water lesson in using a bait caster. If you like.
I pm'ed you my number.

Dont bring any spinning rods though because I wont let you use it.
The biggest trick to learning to use a new style of reel is just to completley commit to doing it.

If all you have to fish with for the day is a casting reel, you wont get frustrated and put it down. You may get frustrtaed, but you wont be able to put it down and pick up a spinning rod cause you wont have one.
By the end of the day you wont be accurate, but you will be good enough to cast one without much backlash.
[signature]
[Smile] thanks guys for the information as i really appreciate it. kd that's sounds like the reel that i saw on tv. if you have time could you pm me if you find out what kind of reel that is.
PREDATOR i pm'd you at 1:00am when i got home from work. what i want to buy is rod and reel baitcaster and learn how to use it. i want to but one that is big enough for catch a tiger musky and some bass to so if you have and suggestion's on rods and reels please let me know. thanks again for the info. it's time to go to bed so i'll talk to everyone tommorrow. thanks trfishin
[signature]
Hey trfishin,

Is this the [url "http://www.ffo-tackle.com/detail.cfm?PassProdId=2109"]Baitcasting reel[/url] you are refering to ?

[url "http://www.ffo-tackle.com/detail.cfm?PassProdId=2109"][/url]
[signature]
[Smile] hey thanks for the information as i think that is the reel that i wanted i'll check out and get 2 for that price if it's the one i want. thanks for the information. trfishin
[signature]
The link Fishhound shows the reel that I have. It would probably be a good one to learn with because you can use it in its automatic mode or you can turn it off and use it in manual like any other regular one. I've played with mine in the back yard and it does work but I haven't fished with it yet.[shocked]
[signature]
thank kd i checked it out of the ffo.com and i think that's the one i'm going to buy. thanks again trfishin
[signature]
KD is right it is an ABU Garcia reel. The only way to become good with a baitcaster is to use it and then use it some more. Strip off 50-60ft of line and place a piece of tape over the spool to prevent the backlashes from becoming too deep. Cheaper reels backlash more than qualitiy reels. Everybody gets a birds nest now and then. No gimic or gadget will ever prevent them. Use at least 12lb test and forget about braid until you can cast the mono.
[signature]
thanks loomislover for the info. what do you think about that abu garcia reel that i'm looking at. have you ever used one of these reels. trfishin
[signature]
Hey, Tr, I prefer to fish with bc reels from my boat or toon and prefer the low profile style better. It's easier for me to "palm" while reeling and feel the line for light strikes. I prefer Quantum reels on a Loomis rod. (I thought the reel was expensive[pirate]) Try going to Cabelas, they have several bc reels on rod handles so you can find one that's comfortable. Just my thoughts, see ya on the water.
[signature]
thanks for the info. fsh4fun05 i will stop by and check them out before i decide to buy one. good luck fishin trfishin
[signature]
If you want to save money and learn how to use a bait cast reel give me a PM I will help...[Wink]

[signature]