Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jig Fishing
Tube,

Excellent primer on jig fishing! I have been a jig fisherman ever since I made my first jig. Over the last 6 years I've become a serious flyfisherman. Now by serious I'm definitely not alluding to "purism". I used to do a lot of portaging and paddling in my youth and would take my flyrod and my ultalite spinning gear. Soon I started leaving the ultalite rods home and brought only the reels. I really liked the long flyrod for fishing small jigs. After the morning or evening session with deer hair bugs and balsa poppers I would take off the flyreel and tape my spinning reel to the flyrod and fish deep with my small jigs. I enjoyed a lot of success with this strategy.

Since then I have been fishing a lot in stillwater trout ponds which are flyfishing only. One of the first things I noticed when I got back into flyfishing was the use of beadheads and Clouser type eyes. I figured that it would be efficient to tie my "beadheads" and "Clousers" on tiny leadheads. I am now enjoying similar success with my flyrod with the flyreel and line as part of the arsenal.
Tiny jigs under a large Strike indicator was a killer approach to catching bluegills and perch last summer on a trip down into Rhode Island.

I've actually come full circle in my fishing techniques as I now have a 10 and a half foot steelhead rod which I often use to toss tiny jigs with my 9 weight bass taper fly line. (Switch back to the spinning reel when I'm not in a "special regulation" situation. I just love the room for experimentation and creativity in our beloved sport.

I am currently working on making some small spinners for use with the flyrod. A friend of mine sent me some of his small "roadrunner" jigs which worked rather nicely for me. Which reminds me I've got to order that mold soon. Thanks for your inspiration. I guess you'll be getting out a lot more as ice out has started in your area. I'll have to wait for April and the opening of trout season to get my Fat Cat back in gear.
[signature]