Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginner Flies
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff4040]Hey guys, I was just wondering what flies I should stock up in my box. I am a newbie to this fly flinging game and was just wondering which flies I should always have with me. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.[/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
I would say basics would be:
San juan worm
Prince nymph
Haresears
Pheasant Tails
Griffith gnats
Adams
Copper Johns
Sow Bugs
Wooly Buggers
Muddlers
Blue Winged Olives BWO's
There are more like emergers, but this are anytimers
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff4040]Hey thanks Flygoddess. If it's coming from a goddess it has to be the real deal![/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]and one more is my favorite - the Royal Wulff.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
I agree with what has been mentioned before. However, two things that always hit for me are...

Elk Hiar Caddis and Royal Trude (for dry flies anyways).

Remember, when stocking up on flies, it's not just the right fly but the right size. If you have a fly that imitates what is buzzing around you at the time, but the fish aren't hitting it, what I have always been told, try a size smaller. So pick up the basics, but have a few sizes handy.

Another tip: When I am out at my local hole I take a small fine mesh net with me. This way I can swoop through the air over the water and grab some flies. I also take some empty canisters (like the ones that they give you to put the flies in at the tackle shops) to put the flies you catch in. Don't forget to turn over rocks and look for nymphs and larval insects as well. Put those in the containers and take everything home with you. Since you are posting I can assume you have internet. Go to any website that sells flies and look at numerous different ones. Try and match the flies and other things you bring home with you to flies that are sold for fly fishing. This will give you an idea of what to purchase for your local area. And don't forget to talk to people at the local shop as well. I bet those guys(or gals, right FG?) have lots of info to offer.

Good luck and welcome to the addictive world of fly fishing.

Kyle
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]A seine is a good thing to have.(mesh screen with two dowels at each end) Put ot in the river then kick rocks and mud in front of it so that the current washes everything into the seine. You do need to match the hatch and as discman said about being told to go smaller, a lot of times if there is a thick hatch try even larger, or an emerger or when the caddis hatch was very thick last year, I threw on a nymph and was catching them. If they are real thick it is hard to get them to take yours, so try something different.[/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]The biggest problem is that there are so many variations to one fly.[/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]I also think a lot of flies are made to catch the fisherman[Wink][/size][/blue][/font]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 3]While at Wally's world the other day I picked up a tropical fish net for only a buck 19. Fits easily in my vest's back pocket.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]