Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flip Flop report sunset
Went out at the flip Flop this evening 4:00pm. Really choppy got pretty wet, but the 18 inch halibut made it worth it. Got him on a frozen chovie casting distance from the outer yellow bouy.
[signature]
[Smile]Good going Erik. Was there many tubers out today?? There were reports of a couple over at Grissom for only a couple of bass, lizard fish and herring.

Kiyo
www.baytubers.com
[signature]
Kiyo,

I did not see anybody sunday evening. On sat morning though I did run across three guys catching perch on the outside of grissom. After lossing six of my plastics to small cudas I figured it was time to hed in. Saw another guy in a blue tube along the shore. Earlly in the morning just before sunrise I did run into a guy on a blow up raft and another guy on a kyak.

I had stopped buy norms on saturday morning but he had no live smelt so I tried ghost shrimp. Nothing but a large perch on that. I think I need alot of practice to gather live bait. Back in Arizona we would use cast nets to catch shad, can not seem to get anything in the net out here.

think I am going to check out eldorado for bass this weekend , see if they are becomming active.
[signature]
[cool] Hey Eric, take a little trout rod out with you and rig up with some small shrimp flies. Jig them around structure to pick up shiner perch, herring and other bait size fishies. Heck, when nobody is looking, I even rig up with a little salmon egg hook and a tiny piece of shrimp or mussel. You can harvest quite a bit of bait in a hurry if you find a school. Just don't have too much fun catching bait. And, I guarantee that those big flatties like "brown baits" as well as smelts...especially when you can't get the latter.

Can I get an amen on that...JR or Kiyo?
[signature]
AMEN!![Smile]

Hey Erik, go to the Belmont Pier and get the live smelts there. Use Miltons Multi Grain bread!! You can get them at Costco. Why this bread??? It balls up easy for your sabiki jigs and the smelts love it!! You can easily get 20 smelts around 7" in less than an hour but you have to be there while the sun is just coming up. It may take you a little longer if you go later in the morning. If you don't want to walk so far on the pier you can try Loynes Dr./ Studabaker bridge for some smelts or Mothers Beach and the Lagoon on 4th. st.

Check out my page "How and where to catch live smelts" on my website. It will tell you what kind of Sabiki jigs to use and directions.

Kiyo
www.baytubers.com
[signature]
Thanks for all the tips. I just picked up a battery powered air pump to keep them alive for transport.

How about small croakers and small lizard fish?
[signature]
Small Lizard fish, small croakers??, small Salemas, Herring, Sardines, Smelts, Shinner Perch, will all work. You just have to modify some of them a little.[Wink] Small croakers I trip the tails and fins so they aren't so powerfull and wont stick the Halibut when she chomps on them. Also do this with the Salemas and Shinner Perch.

Kiyo
www.baytuber.com
[signature]
[cool] Yeah, those delicate and wimpy halibut don't like to get spined while they are chomping big holes in their prey. But, that's why those little fishies have spines...so that big bad 'butts won't find them as delectable as the soft rayed baits.

If you carry a pair of sidecutters or gate shears, snipping the spines is quick and easy. They also help neutralize the potential for disaster if you keep sculpins, or even bass or other spiny rayed fish. Spines and inflatables do not coexist well in close proximity.

Whenever I keep catfish, in freshwater, the first thing I do before even removing the hook is to cut off the pectoral and dorsal spines with a pair of heavy sidecutters. Then I remove the hook and drop them in the live basket.

Hey, Kiyo, I've never tried them but I hear that those wierd lookin' lizard fish are well received by halibuts. What has your experience been?
[signature]
So far I've had no luck with the Lizard fish, Salemas or Tom Cods. If I have them they are going on my trolling rod!! You never know when that Mrs. Lucky will be down there![Wink]

I cut the spines, tail and fins with my 5" Forceps.[Wink]

Kiyo
www.baytubers.com
[signature]