Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The SlushBERRY Monster tried to eat my toes
We arrived at 7am, thats MGB, BLM, and ME. We didn't leave until 8:30PM! We didn't punch a hole in the ice until about 9am or later.

We sunk the snowmobiles in 12 inches of water. It took like 2 hours to unstuck. The waterproofing on boats weren't up to snuff and half the lake got inside one. I poured the water out after we setup fishing area(this was the first and only time I got sore from cutting holes with a power auger). The ice/slush/water ran the auger right up to the engine, what a pain!

And, then we fished. And, fished! And, Fished some more. MGB and BLM put on a clinic while I found out my sonar sucked![blush] I did catch the Biggest troutski of the day. It was a beautiful multi-colored 22+ inch Cutthroatasaurus(MIke took a picture).

Did I mention I broke my wrist by rolling the sled in the parking lot with MGB on the back[angelic] I forgot. Methinks, MGB got a concussion. He gigled like a little school girl all day while catching 1400 fish.

Did I mention that BLM ran over and broke leg in three places with his snowmobile and tent? Its only a flesh wound I've had worst[Tongue].

At 4:00pm MST, we decide to head in. You know? We got stuck again![unsure] Now, frostbite is nipping at my toes. It was getting pretty scary and close to dark. Mike and I were looking for a dog with a keg under its neck(we thought we were in deep trouble now). Our jolley green leader in his custom Cabelas apparel saved the day. With dogged determination and alot of profanity, BLM dragged, prodded, and push with his iron will out the slush. It only took us 2 1/2 hours this time.

Did I mention how I got the back eye? Blm was towing my sled with his sled about 200 mph to the safety of shore, when a golfball size hunk of ice nearly put my eye out.

I'll let those guys talk about how scared we was and other silly stuff. Did I mention I lost two toes to frostbite? They are in a jar now.

[signature]
Sounds like a good time, next time you go don't call me...warn me[Tongue]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]What a day! I just got home and alls I can say is the fishing was pretty dang good. I caught all the fish I cared to catch and MGB caught enough for everyone and then some.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]As Tomegun alluded to, the slush is the worst I have ever seen. We ran the sleds from the marina out to the Knolls. I don't recommend this. There are areas that have 12" of water on top of the ice. There are holes in the ice, though it's 30"+ inches thick combined, with open water that is causing this slush. In the morning when things are firm it's fairly good going but let it warm up and it becomes pretty soft. Believe me, if you have never seen mega slush and the fun of unsticking sleds from it, I highly recommend that you avoid the experience. I'm getting to old for this sh$#![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We ended up getting off the water at the Ladders. I must admit, the 700 Polaris did pretty good in the heavy slush and I had to make the run from the Ladders to the Marina as it was getting dark, load the sled on the trailer and go pick up Tomegun and MGB, load all the gear and drive back to the marina to pick up Tommy's truck. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Learn one valuable lesson, make sure you have 50-75 ft of good 3/8" nylon rope in the sled's seat compartment. If we had not had that rope, my sled would still be there and I'd be heading out in the morning to chip it out and try to get it home.[/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I can also say this. If you ever find yourself in this kind of predicament, hope you have guys like Tomegun and MGB with you. nuff said...[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Let's all chant together..."Ya can't beat fun...Ya can't beat fun."[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sounds like a lot of male bonding, in betwixt catastrophes. (Brokeback Lake???)[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Dang men! Sounds like your adventure was one that I am glad I missed! I was gonna hit the Berry yesterday....the alleged storm scared me away....glad you caught some fish though.
[signature]
I rest my case.

Spending the whole day trying to catch a dumb fish that eats cheese ... thru a little hole in the ice ... 12 inches of frozen slush.

yeah right,

I'll take my chances with a fish that eats dumb fish.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]What's with the elitist attitude, Cliff? Just for accuracy's sake you may wish to change your name from UTBASS to UTSUNFISH because the fish you covent so dearly, largemouth and smallmouth, are not true bass but members of the sunfish family along with bluegill and crappie. Just thought you might want to know that.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
If I was to fish the knolls , I would [#4040ff]NOT[/#4040ff] launch at the marina unless I was on a boat . I walk it from the ladders when conditions are right . But you can have the slush all to yourself . Good to here you caught some fish .
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]With the recent reports on the Berry of minus degree temperatures making runs across Strawberry is no big deal when things are froze up. We routinely run the full length of the lake, covering lots of miles with snowmobiles, even sleds of minimal power and smaller tracks like touring sleds. Lots of people do it. Fishing Strawberry on snowmobiles and having access to all areas of the lake is awesome. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Launching from the marina is convienient with it's larger parking area especially when you have trailers. The other parking areas can become very crowded on the weekends making parking with trailers a nightmare not to mention getting boxed in.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]None of us were aware of the slush conditions and the extent of how bad it is in places. Nobody likes slush and nobody goes looking for it. I hope our report can save others the headache we encountered. [/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Glad to hear that you all made it back in one piece and lived to fish another day. Only had the pleasure of partially digging out a snowmobile once, before a nice gentlemen came along with a larger one and a long rope. Mike sure can put the fish on the ice (or in the net from a boat) jigging at Strawberry liike no one else I have ever seen fishing up there.
[signature]
The largest bass I have ever caught (over 6 pounds) I caught when I was a young kid while fishing with Velveeta Cheese!
[signature]
I can see your point on the trailer issue . LOL being on foot makes me look at things a little different . I'm been just staying close to home this year trying to drive the gas prices down by not using any but am jealous of those getting out .
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Randy, we'd be glad to have you come along with us anytime. It makes it affordable for all of us when a few go together besides we could use another able body to help get sleds unstuck! LOL![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
What a rough start and a rough finish but a fantastic day of catching fish. Most fish where 20 + inches. That was a nice fat 22.5" cutt Tomegun caught. My biggest was 21.75" over a dozen that where 21" plus 1 rainbow. We caught fish all day with a few short breaks between schools as they moved threw.

I am sore today legs hurt my side is sore from tipping the sled over, slight sunburn and my wrist hurts plus I forgot my pliers and I took alot of jiggs out of their lips with my fingers and I have scratches from their teeth on three fingers. Tomegun took a worse beating than me or BLM, hope you make a quick recovery Tomegun.

At the end of the day with the sunsetting and we where stuck I was concerned for our saftey but BLM pulled off a heroic rescue mission. Thanks for your effort BLM.
[signature]
[signature]
Heres a couple more photos. I would like to add that Tomegun caught his 22 incher out of my hole while I was rerigging. Same thing happened last weekend when N.E.T.O. cousin pulled a 24 incher out of my hole.
[signature]
I forgot to tell about the big fish. It came unbutton at the top of the hole. I dove in after the fish. My arm was in the hole up over the elbow before I was able to wrangle the slimey critter.

My body is so sore.

Great pictures Mike, thanks!

Thanks Rich for all [cool]

[signature]
Nice pictures Mike. That meat-o-saurus of Tommy's is quite the nice fish. I hope that slush layer freezes, as I'd like to get up there one more time!
[signature]
[size 1]"I forgot my pliers" Where have I heard that before [Wink]?[/size]
[signature]
Kent, I have a habit of leaving them in my coveralls. Then when I wash them they get left in the washroom and I forget to put them with my gear. Wish you where there so I could of used yours.

TKB, I would not count on the water/slush frezzing up. Warm temperatures are in the forecast. When we arrived Saturday morning the temperature was 25 ABOVE zero. When we left around 9:00pm the temperature was about 25 ABOVE zero and its only going to get warmer.
[signature]
...I'm seeing a pattern here. Here is whats going to happen next time I go ice fishing again with MGB:

"Hey Mike, my gas auger won't start...mind if I take your hole? You can just drill another one..."

Sounds like it was a fun trip!

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.