Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions and preferances
I went fishing on the Ogden River yesterday by Rainbow Gardens. I had 3 fish on and landed 1 (I'm getting better!) Without going into details, I need to replace a few flies. I could buy them, but I'd rather learn to tie my own. I have a few questions about Brassies and Copper Johns. What sizes have worked best for you? Do I tie the wire on with thread, or will it wrap and hold onto the hook by itself? Where are places to get small wire? I looked on the Internet last night, but I think that the BFT members give better information. Your opinions and preferances are appreciated and welcome. Thanks for the advice!
[signature]
You will want to tie the wire in place before you wrap it up the shank. I don't know what sizes you'll want to tie, as I have never fished the Ogden. I would recommend getting a few tying videos from sportsmans or somewhere before you get started tying though. They will show you the basic techniques that you will use on most all fly you will tie. You have a good idea in starting out with simpler, but effective nymph patterns. Good luck!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]I use copper johns in all colors and tie my own. Scotty gives good advise. I use mostly 16 and 18, but bigger ones will work. I start off tying the two turky biot tal in first then tie in Ultra Wire (small) UTC trying to keep the tail separated can be tricky but comes in time. All the fishing stores carry the Ultra Wire in small and Med. And they come in all colors, I even use wire for my Chironos. (bullet proof). I have also found real fine wire on small electric tool armetures. The reat of a copper john is peacock, over wing and partridge gills. I do use a bead. As far as brassies, easy, tie on wire wrap hook and add dubbing or peacock. Good luck and check in to what Scotty said.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]