Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Community Ponds
I am hoping to take my wife and kids to one of the community ponds this weekend and would like to try out my new reel while I am there. Could use some suggestions on what type of flies might work this time of year. Any tricks to using the fly properly or to make it work better would be nice too. Thanks.
[signature]
I would suggest trying small renegades or mosquito imitations if there is any surface activity at all. If not, go with nymphs or a very small wooly bugger perhaps. Since the trout in these ponds are planter rainbows, they may be more receptive to bait than to flies.

Depending on which community pond you visit, you could get into some nice bluegill or largemouth bass action as well if you use tiny jigs or flies and tip it with a tiny piece of worm.

Get more info on [url "http://www.utahfishinginfo.com/urbanponds/"]Utah's Community Fisheries[/url] here.

I'll be heading out this Saturday too! I'll probably be at [url "http://www.utahfishinginfo.com/urbanponds/salempond.php"]Salem Pond[/url] sometime around late morning or early afternoon, once it has warmed up enough for my almost 2 yr old son to be out and have some fun while we're there. Later!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Most of the trout in the urban ponds are hatchery pets that usually do not stay around long enough to develop much of a natural diet...or to pattern on any particular food source.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Attractor patterns often do better than meticulously tied imitations of real bugs. The Renegade is a good one, with the contrasting colors. So is a royal coachman. I tie them in a wet pattern so that they ride below the surface. If you fish them on a sink tip line you can usually get some action.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I know guys that do well with "glo bugs", the fluffy egg tie that steelheaders use. You just cast them out and let them sink, watching the line for a twitch or using a strike indicator.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I will agree with the Renegade and I have fun with Mosquitoes or Adams. As Far as nymphing, I vote for red Copper John, Bead Head Flashback Pheasant Tail, and or haresear in smaller sizes (16-18) float under an indicatore trying different depths.
[signature]
I fished clinton pond last year with my 2 year old using a size 14 hares ear or prince nymph under a indicator about 3 feet. Twitch it about 6" and stop. We were catching probably 20-30 fish per trip when they were stocking it regularly. Good luck.
[signature]
has anyone here had much experience with salem pond? i have heard rumors about decent fishing there but i can never get any good info.
[signature]
Fishingod, Salem pond is OK for planter cats and trout when stocked. They will plant cats in the summer and trout in spring and fall. The cats are decent size averaging about 18 inches give or take. It used to be good for some nice sized bass to 4 pounds, but those days are gone. The bass have been overharvested and nothing but a bunch of runts are left. I don't bother with that place anymore.
[signature]
It could be a lot of fun flyfishing for bluegill there though. There are plenty of [url "http://www.utahfishinginfo.com/utahfish/sunfish.php"]bluegill[/url] in there, and I'm sure they'll readily take a small fly like all bluegill do. There are plenty of scrapper bass in there as well. It gets hit hard in the summer, so I could see there being no big bass left in there.
[signature]