Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
deep cycle batterys
I need some input on buying a new deep cycle battery for my boat.I am using it for a fishfinder,trolling plate,and starting my engine.Has anyone used the optima batterys for these uses??.Any advise would be apprecated.
[signature]
What type of boat and Motor. What size trolling Motor?

Optima's are about the best $ can buy but are very expensive and a dead one will not start your motor any better than a dead one from K-mart.
I have an I/O. I would never consider using my motor starting battery for anything except starting the motor and running the depth sounder. I would hate to run the battery down with the trolling motor and not be able to start the boat motor for the ride home.
If I was in a smaller boat with a motor that had a pull start I would not be as worried.
What I did was to buy a COSTCO battery, the biggest one that they have for a starter battery and the biggest deep cycle they had for my trolling motor. Together the cost was about the same as the optima would have been alone.
This set-up also works best when another boat needs a jump I just pick up the trolling motor battery and use it for the jump rather than risking anything on my boat.
[signature]
I have a 225 hp. penta volvo i/o. I was using a interstate deep cycle marine batt. it only gave me 3 years of use until it would only take a half charge.Trolling motor is a gas kicker on a trolling plate with remote.
[signature]
I run two yellow top (combo deep cycle and starting) Optima's in my boat. One for starting duties, my fish finder, and marine radio the other exclusively for my 12 volt trolling motor. I love these batteries, they require no maintainence (ie: adding water), you can mount them in any position, they do not corrode everything around the location where you install them, you can leave them in the boat year round, and they will cycle about double the number of times of a traditional lead acid battery. The best price I have seen is at Costco and then Sportsmans. remember the old adage "You get what you pay for", this is especially true when it comes to battery's.
[signature]
I run two yellow top Optimas on my trolling motor. This year will be my third season with them. I like them so far. I have run the red top starting batteries in my cars for years. I figure since they cost twice as much as a good wet cell battery, that if I get twice the life out of them I come out even. I have red top batteries going on 8 years old. I have never had a wet cell battery last more that about two or three years. I really like the fact that they require no maintenance, they don't corrode the terminals or the mount plate like wet cells do, and they charge faster. I'm sold on them.
[signature]
Well it looks like no matter how you cut it you have t have a seperate battery for your starting. You must have an additional battery for your trolling motor. No matter what your in for 2 batteries, and did I say "welcome to boating"?

It all comes down to how much $ you have in your pocket today. If you can get two optimas then get them, they are the best. If $300 for a set of batteries is not what you had in mind then you may consider the lead acid pair for $150. Because the batteries are seperate there is no danger in having a Lead acid starting battery and an optima for your trolling motor. That set would be about $220.

But you should never use your starting battery for your main motor to run your electric trolling motor.
[signature]
I ran 5+ years on a costco deep cycle in my old boat, and one year of that was the boat sitting dry. (a Sad year for fishing, indeed)

Even after pretty much a year without starting, that battery started it right up the next year, and was still going strong when I sold the boat last year.

I have never had a problem with corrosion with any boat batteries. The best thing you can do to make your batteries last much longer is keep them charged. At the end of a trip, where you run it down with a troller, put a charger on it when you get back. Before storing for the winter, charge it fully.

Do that and the battery should last you a good long time. With that kind of battery life for a $50 battery, I think I'll stick with the cheaper ones.
[signature]