Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
just a thought
[size 1]For night fishing in arizona we used a floating spotlight to bring in bait a along with smallies, crappies and wallies.

Has anybody done this off the piers with any success , or does it bring up to many small bait fish ? [/size]
[signature]
[cool] In the "olden days", there used to be electric outlets on Belmont Pier, that allowed you to lower a directional light down over the water. Chovies, smelt and other little fish would swarm under the lights, and were easy to catch. Mackerel and occasionally bonito and barries would also come up, to dine by candlelight. Even had some big halibuts cruise the surface in the light. Some people caught them legally. Others snagged them.

I think it was about 1980 that they removed the electric outlets. But, it is not difficult to rig a propane lantern on a rope, with aluminum foil reflectors, and lower it down near the water. Light attracts small organisms, which brings in the bait sized fish, and you take it from there.

I'm surprised more people don't do that. There are often some nice herring (queenfish) hanging just down below the small fish. Drop a small jig or string of shrimp flies down there and you can do some damage. Big halibut love small herring.

As you know, Eric, I live in Arizona, and I have used the floating lights to bring in shad...both for bait and to attract crappies and white bass. I'm betting it would work just as well in the harbors...but I'm not sure I would want my legs dangling in the lights at night. I've been spooled by some big sharks while night fishing in that area.
[signature]
[Smile]Hey Erik,

Seal Beach Pier has lights down by the boat walkway! White Sea Bass have been caught there at night.

Kiyo
www.baytubers.com
[signature]
Kiyo,

I gotta say I am a little aprehensive about hooking into to big of a fish in my tube. My wife and I hooked into some white sea bass last year on the west side of catalina. I guess I am thinking I would end up back out there in my tube after hooking it in the harbor[Wink].

Think I will check out the peir sounds good.

P.S. Water is eldorado has to be rising, seeing mist and fog rise in the evening as the air temp drops . Going to check it out fri night. will keep all posted.
[signature]