Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring!
On Monday of this week I took my ODC 420 tube and went out to one of my favorite trout lakes that harbors Regular Rainbow and Golden Rainbow Trout. The day was partly cloudy when I arrived about 10 AM. Within a couple of hours the clouds were gone, the temperature was up to about 67 degrees, and as usual for my first sunny day after so many chilly winter days, I didn't have my sun screen and got a little bit red. The fishing was worthwhile though. Chironomids were hatching when I arrived. In fact, before I even launched my tube I had landed 10 trout from the shore on my 4 wt. fly rod. The method of the day was twitching a #16 Ice Cream Cone Midge Pupa under a quick release indicator. That's the chartreus colored indicator you see in some of the pics below. Once the hook is set it slides down to the end of the line. My final tally for the day was 17 Rainbows and 4 Goldens before the hatch subsided and the fish disappeared. I hope you guys and gals still locked up in winter will find these pictures helpful enough to give you hope.

(pics below)

[inline trout-1.jpg]

[inline trout-2.jpg]

[inline trout-3.jpg]

[inline trout-4.jpg]

[inline trout-5.jpg]

[inline trout-6.jpg]

[inline trout-7.jpg]

[inline trout-8.jpg]

[inline trout-9.jpg]

[inline trout-10.jpg]

[inline trout-11.jpg]

[inline trout-12.jpg]

A good day on the water and a harbinger for things to come, I hope. Largest fish were the Goldens - at around 3-3 1/2 pounds.

zonker
[signature]
Way to go Uncle Z. It looks like you had a wonderful time out there. Thanks for the nice report and pics.[cool]
[signature]
That's what I'm talking about! Those indicators are the only way to go with Croni's. Can deep nymph up to 30'.

[inline "strike indicator2 006.JPG"]
[signature]
That's the item. I have you to thank for making me aware of it. When you mentioned it awhile ago I went to Phil Rowley's site and found his description. I then had to find some of them. At first I drilled out some steelhead corkies. I already had some of the little stoppers with the hole through the middle so they worked fairly well. But the paint on the corkies tended to chip during the drilling process. A couple of weeks ago I found some pre-drilled styrofoam ones in numerous colors in Portland for 20 cents apiece. I stocked up. They really work well and open up a whole new way to fish effectively. Thanks again for cluing me in.

z~
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Great report and great pics. (as usual)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Got over-sunned, huh? Probably didn't remember what that strange light in the sky was after all the rain you've had up there.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We are still catching one storm after another here, but we are all desperate enough that we are going to go fishing this week anyway. I'm just getting ready to go make a few casts for some walleye or catfish on Utah Lake. News later.[/#0000ff]
[signature]