Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach Kitties 3/31/06
[cool][#0000ff]TubeBabe and I met up with Kraizee_Skot on the south jetty of Lincoln Beach boat channel about 6:30. We were all in the water by about 7 AM. Air temp 40 and water temp 46. Light south breeze. Lookin' good.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We all threw just about every color and size plastic for the first hour, first around the ends of the jetties and then across to the weeds and brush to the south. I tail hooked a carp and K-Skot got another one. Had a couple of either hits or carp bumps, and then nothing more on plastics.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe and I started dragging a bait on our second pole. Sun peeked out for a bit and the light south breeze got the water warming a bit...up to just over 49. About 9 AM TubeBabe put her first cat in the tube, a 22 inch 5.3 pounder. Good start. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About a half hour later, I had a runner on my bait (carp meat) and hooked up to a 24" 6.8 pound kitty. Looked like it might turn into a good cat chasin' day. Except for K-Skot. He was trying out some of my big diving fins and seeing if he could fish all of Utah Lake in one day. Almost made it, but only got the one carp.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just as the water temp was nudging the underside of 50 degrees, the breeze changed and began to come in stronger from the north. Water temp dropped about 2 degrees almost instantly. TubeBabe did get another inquiry and set the hook in our biggest cat of the day...a 26" 7.3 pounder. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That made it another official win for the Babe. First, most, last and biggest. Man, sometimes it is tough shaking off my fish so she can win. (I did have a monster chomp on a big whole minnow, but did not get the hook into the fish)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No walleyes but the cats were very aggressive and active for water temps under 50 degrees. Each of the fish we caught hit hard, ran fast with the bait and slugged it out in midsummer form. Yeeeee Hawwww.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We were off the water just after noon, with the north breeze building. Drove up around the bend and observed a fair line of waders and a couple of boats working the rock shelf to the west of the L. Did not see anybody catch anything while we parked and ate our celebratory snack (cookies and milk).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Don't know what the coming storm will do to the fishing, other than slow things down again until the temps stabilize and start back up. I won't be going back down Saturday, but will try next week...hopefully.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Nice report, Pat! Looks like TubeBabe showed you how it's done once again. Nice K, TubeBabe!! That report really gets me excited to get out there. Hope I catch my first kittie of the year. An 'eye would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath...

I'm heading out tomorrow, come hell or highwater, as I've postponed my first softwater trip for two weekends strait now, so I'm taking a poncho and taking my chances. Might not breakout the tube from the trunk, but it's coming along just in case it ain't too windy in the morning. CBR and I are going to start out at the "North part" of the lake however, since it doesn't get too much pressure. Gonna see if that fish filled area will make a difference hiking down to it from the parking lot.

Good luck on your next trip out and hope you enjoy that kitty krispy dinner, TD!
[signature]
Nice report and good pictures. Looks like you had a good day. Hopefully I'll be able to give a good report on Bear Lake if the weather lets me get out in the next 4 days.[unsure]

Bodine
[signature]
[angelic]It really felt good to basket those two kitties! When the first one started taking out the line and I was waiting to set the hook, all I could think was "this is what it's all about"!!!!!!
[signature]
nice report td. i guess i'm just going to make it a point to get hooked up with ya in the near future
[signature]
Looks like there will be some good kitty fry at the tubin' palace tonight! Thanks for the report Pat. I hope we can get a decent stretch of weather in here to encourage the fish to be more consitent.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey ol' buddy, as most BFTers who know me will tell ya, I ain't hard to hook up with or get along with. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let me know when you have time or are planning a trip and if I can work it out on my end we will git 'er done.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe and I spend a lot of time on the old brown pond and can usually work our schedules around yours. She prefers catching and eating cats to almost any other fish so it is not hard to get her in the car when it is pointed in that direction.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Anytime after about the middle of April should be getting good both for post spawn walleyes and prespawn catfish. It only gets better from then until the hottest days of July. Then we go at night for the bigguns.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I think the fish are just as impatient as we are. Right now, temperature is really the main element. Once the average temperature goes over 55 degrees, we should be able to count on good trips any time we can get on the water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Actually had the last of the fillets from the three kitties I caught two weeks ago last night, so it might be another couple of days before we crispy up some of the new batch. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I gotta say that those cats from down there are as fine eating as any fish going. I had lunch with Bigcat the day before cooking those cats last night. We had the halibut and chips at Neils, in Draper. $7.99 for two strips of halibut and slaw. Good, but not really any better (my opinion) than my "kitty krispies" recipe. Not only that, but I get seconds (and thirds) at my place, at no extra charge.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You gotta get down here when they "go off". The area we fish now is easy to fish, very few snags and lots of good sized fish. But, do not bring your wimpy metal stringer this time, unless you are still deeply into conservation. Those cats you lost last time are probably still laughing at you.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice cats, glad you caught a few. Between the weather forecast and my youngest son's track meet today, looks like it will be awhile for me, maybe next weekend for the boat.
You're gonna give me some kind of complex makin' fun of my little stringer! Next time I'll bust a cap in their heads so they don't get any ideas of swimmin' free again![Tongue]
[signature]
[size 1][font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff4040][size 2]That was fun! All I know is if I had stayed another hour or so, I would have covered all of Utah Lake.[Tongue] Those fins are awesome, you could really motor around with those things on. Thanks again for letting me borrow your fins until mine come in. It was a great day, and it was nice to see some fishies being caught. It was also a great pleasure to meet TubeBabe.[/size][/#ff4040][/font] [/size]
[signature]