Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First time marine radio user. Need advice?
I just purchased a marine radio and installed it in my boat. I've never used one before and need some advice.

What is the correct protocol when calling out to BFT members or other boats who might have a marine radio?

Do the State Parks monitor channel 16 (Coast gaurd) channel?

I know BFTrs use channel 12. Should I call out on that channel or
use channel 16 first? What channels are good ones to monitor here in Utah.

What will my transmission range be? I'm just in a 16 foot boat that isn't very tall with an 8 foot antenna.

Is there a service in Utah for phone access through the marine radio?

How and on what channel can I do a radio check? I can hear the weather channels (from my driveway in Brigham) but have no Idea If I have the antenna hooked up correctly so that I can transmit.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
[signature]
Congrats on the new marine radio.

Legally, you should apply for a FCC marine operators license before transmitting with this radio. If you bought the radio new, there is usually information and in some cases a FCC license application that comes with the owners manual. I have a license for my radio, but I've noted very few actually use their call letters or actually have an marine radio operators license? That said, I'm not sure there is much FCC inforcement of Marine radio band out here in Rocky mountain states.[Wink]

I monitor channel 16 as it is the calling and emergency channel. Marina's also monitor channel 16. I call out on 16 to find other boaters and then we switch to other simplex channels allowed for boat to boat communication. Do a web search on marine band channel and freqency chart and you'll find a channel/frequency allocation listing describing the intended use for each of the marine band channels.

To the best of my knowledge, BFT members are not on the VHF marine band channel 12, but rather on FRS-GRMS radio channel 12. The portbale low power FRS radios are not the same band and frequency as the VHF marine band.

Most VHF marine fixed mount radios have a 1 watt ( low power) transmit setting and a 25 watt (high power) setting. Make sure you are in the one watt ( low power setting) when testing your antenna for the first time. If you have a problem with the antenna or cable connections the low power setting will preclude damage to your radio. Unfortunately, unless you have an SWR (standing wave ratio) meter it is hard to determine if your antenna is working properly. The other option is go to a local lake that has a marina or other boats and ask them for a radio check. With a properly tuned and matched 8' foot antenna, you should have 7-15 miles of range across open water (in the high power mode).

Good luck with your new radio. I have one mainly for piece of mind knowing that if a catastrophic event should occur, I have the ability to contact other area boats or the state parks coast guard for assistance.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The VHF "marine" band radios were unregulated in October 1996 and an FCC license is not required to receive and transmit. Here a link that outlines FCC regs on marine band radio.[/size][/black][/font]

[url "http://wireless.fcc.gov/marine/fctsht14.html"]http://wireless.fcc.gov/marine/fctsht14.html[/url]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]There are tons of good articles on marine band etiquette and protocol out there. Just remember that marine band radio is not like CB's though you'd never know it on inland waters where they are more of a toy. Do a few Google searches on "marine band etiquette" and "marine radio operation" and you'll find all the information you'll ever want to know about use, etiquette, and operation of your new radio.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I'm planning on getting one of the VHF marine radios and I've read a couple of post about using channel 7 for BFT users. As was stated, channel 12 is for the low ban(power) users, although there are few users of the high ban, until more are using it, it sounds like channel 16 is a wise choice. WH2
[signature]
Congrats on getting your radio . I hope to have one on board this year too . I fish alone most of the time and hope it will aid me if trouble arises .
[signature]
Always monitor channel 16,it is a call channel and most people are monitoring it,channel 9 is emergency channel,and if you get me on the radio go to channel 67,myself and BLM have used this channel while fishing on willard,there are a few of use out there with VHF radio's and if you get in trouble it may save your butt.or you could save someone else in trouble.
Never BS on the call channel it pi$$3s people off and is not used for just talking on.
hope to hear from you,good fishing.
FNF[cool]
[signature]
[Smile][Smile][Smile] Thanks to everyone who replied. I look forward seeing or talking to you out on the water.
[signature]