Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
toon rod holder help
I bought some rod holders for my toon and need some advice on how to install them.They are the 3 in 1 rod holders.I want to install them on the back of my toon and am in need of some creative ideas.
[signature]
I don't want to be rude but it looks like you may want to hold off on the rod holders and look for the "floating" part [Tongue]. I need some rod holders myself, can you post a pick of the holder?
[signature]
Very funny!! [Tongue] I just have not put it all together yet.Just wanna hook it up a little before i make my first launch.These are the rod holders i bought the other day.By the wat do you know if there are rod holders that are a clamp style that you can put on your toon?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]One of the big issues with mounting rod holders on a pontoon is keeping them out of the way of the oars. You can't just hook them up conveniently on the side, like you can with float tubes. Most tooners end up mounting them inside the back area, behind the seat...usually using the platform or frame as a place to start.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you go to the Float Tubing Picture Board, there are some pics there of both tubes and toons, with rod holders. [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=202149;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]HERE IS A LINK[/url] to that thread. Most of the pics of pontoon holders are toward the end.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One thing you might consider is hooking up a metal wire basket to the platform behind the seat and then clamping or lashing the 3 tube holder to that. I have seen that arrangement on a couple of toons. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The basket provides security for extra goodies you want to take out, and the rod tubes ride safely and conveniently just behind you. Just be sure that you position them on the side opposite from your casting arm, to keep from snagging the extra rods on your backcast.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You really need to get the toon put together and launched before you make the final decision on where to locate all the add-ons. Take it out and row around a bit, to get familiar with the feel, and what parts of the toon are "off limits" for any attachments, due to the oars. Some guys stow the oars with the handles inside. Others outside. That can make a difference on your options for locating the rod tubes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here are pictures of Theekillerbee's toon, with a clamp on mount he made. One part is bolted to the frame. The removeable part slips inside and is pinned in place for use.[/#0000ff]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=10158;][size 1]
TheeKillerBee's 3-tube custom rack mounted on the rear outside of his pontoon. The rack does not interfere with oars and the oar handles are placed inside the rack when not in use.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=10159;]
Closeup of TKB's 3-tube pontoon rod rack. It can be set up for quick connect to the frame. [/size]
[size 1][/size]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=10162;][size 1]
Rear view of Versa Vessel's rod rack.[/size]
[signature]