Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downrigger weight? ball, fish, or pancake?????
Hi everybody,

Need some help deciding on which type of downrigger weight I should buy. I've looked at them all. Any suggestions??? Thanks for the help.
[signature]
I prefer pancakes weights over balls,they track better with less swing back.They dont hang up as easy as ball shaped weights do.I use 10 and 12 lbs weight for all my fishing at the gorge.Of course if your using a manual downrigger ,weight makes a lot of difference when you have to crank it up all the time.The best weights i ever used were the banana shape ones but they are hard to find.The fish shaped weights work well also.
[signature]
I also prefer the pancake ones for the same reasons that kokeking gave.
[signature]
Thanks Kokeking,

Do you you think color of the weight matters???
[signature]
kokeking is right- weight can be a concern when using a manual. if thats not an issue go with a ten or twelve to minimize how far your weight drags behind. minimizing this makes your depth counter tell a more accurate story. i use both pancakes and fish shapes. i think kokeking needs to get us some of these "banana" weights!
[signature]
Thanks for the help everybody. I'm headed to Sportsmans warehouse tomorrow. I'll keep my eye out for the bananna type.
[signature]
bkidder,i sure wish i could find those banana shaped weights again.They were great almost inpossible to hang up,and they tracked very true.I havent seen any of those in long time,would be nice if someone made them again.As for the question about color ,i prefer black but have used the silver and muliti colored scented weights.Personally i havent found where color makes any difference.
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] It would be really nice if someone could post a picture of one of these banana weights for trolling.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
[Image: SpinSinker.jpg]
This it?
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] Thanks for the picture Pat. I'm not really sure about the Banana weights, I was under the impression that they were larger in size like a downrigger cannonball. I have seen the type that you show as an in-line type of weight.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I was kinda bein' facetious on that. I know about the big banana shaped downrigger weights. However, I also have been unable to find any source of them these days. Lots of references to trollers using them, both in fresh and salt water, but nobody is selling them that I can find.[/#0000ff]
[signature]