Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 yr. old float tuber issues
Today I bought a tube for my daughter ( A deal I could not pass up) but I am afraid that she could still "slip through" somehow. I have to be sure she is completely safe before I let her go...she has sat beside me on my toon for 2 years now and she is too big now. I will tie her off to me, but I can't be too safe. Has anyone ever modified a tube for a child? She has her own waders and I expect to do all of the flipping or rowing.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have had kids in tubes, but never as young as 5 years. However, Trinity is a true anglerette and what she lacks in size and age she makes up for in ambition. And, she has a great dad to make sure she gets rigged up right.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What kind and style of craft did you get for her? I hope it was the open front design. That will allow her to sit higher and make it easier for you to get her safely and comfortably in and out of the craft.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you stay close by, there is probably no need to stay tied together. But, until she is completely at ease (and dad too), you should stay close and concentrate on her enjoyment rather than your own. Go ahead and buy her a set of fins. They make all sizes and kids sizes are not usually expensive.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The main concern, expecially with the open front tubes, is the potential for slipping out. I might suggest rigging a "safety seat" arrangement. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have thought in the past about fashioning something along the lines of the spring jumper seats you use for babies (the kind you hang in the doorway), with clips to attach to D rings once the child is safely aboard. A simple "seat belt" won't provide security against "slip-sliding away". Small children might need a crotch strap along with the waist or seat belt.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you wander through the Army-Navy surplus store, or a good camping supply outlet, you should be able to find lots of straps and webbing, and buckles, to fashion a safety harness. After that, just put sturdy clips on the ends to correspond to the D rings you will attach them to.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Another thought is to get her a comfortable PFD, and fit it with both a crotch strap and the clips for attachment to the D rings. That would solve two problems at once.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Whatever you rig up, make sure that there are "quick release" buckles in front. The potentials for turnovers or sudden air loss are remote, but in the event of crisis, she should be able (and trained) to release herself. If she has a PFD and knows how to swim, she can survive even a tube explosion or turnover.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I had my boys in "donut" style tubes from the time they could swim and wanted to join me on the water. That was a few years older than 5, but was more a matter of both desire and readiness than age. I am sure the boys would have been willing to get floated long before I let them. My daughter never did go afloat, and still resists the idea, though now all growed up and with teenagers of her own.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Tubes are great for kids. It gives them a measure of independence and it allows them to work off a lot of childish energy. They love the idea of not having to "sit still" in dad's boat, and being completely in charge or where and how they fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Take it slow and be patient...and safe. Once she gets the hang of it, you will have a tough time getting her off the water. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
When the weather clears and the water warms a bit, we'll have to hook up for some daddy / daughter fishing. I just bought a new tube and am passing tubes down through the kiddies so she'll have one. There are 1.5'' straps with buckles for around 2 bucks at wally world in the camping stuff. I too have concearns and plan to tether her to me for the first while.
[signature]
Thanks TD. Its a round tube, but for 10 bucks I figured I could make a project out of it. If it turns into a Frankenstein oh well, only 10 bucks. The swing seat is a good idea. I'm working on a way for her to sit higher but the only place we will probably go is a small pond out of the wind. She is very excited, there is no backing out now.
Garbageman I will send you a PM when my "spot" is on fire.
[signature]