Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Eyes
With all the negative reports of Willard Walleye I haden't even fished them yet this year so we decided to head out Sunday afternoon and see if we could find anything. We started off in the mouth of the south marina with no luck so we decided to head over to a couple of our "honey holes" on the west side we ended up catching a couple but the bite was almost nonexistant. The couple we caught were deeper than expected for this time of year 10-18'. The ones that did bite hit standard curlys green or white and they hit very hard for eyes! One thing I did find interesting was they had no milk, last year this time they would leak everywhere.I added a pic of the larger one.I talked to a couple veteran eye chasers and they had about the same luck wich is very slow for them.
[signature]
Good report fisherman, nice to see someone caught a walleye or two. I went up on Sunday and unfortunately did not catch any fish. Oh well it has got to get better soon, just have a hard time waiting.Have a great day!! John R.[Smile]
[signature]

Sounds like the spawn is over, usually it takes a couple of weeks after the spawn before the eyes get aggressive and start feeding. I read a report on the DWR site that said the same thing and the fish he caught was all beat up on its lower fins from spawning. Lets hope the catching will continue to improve. Thanks for the report, good to see a few guys are catching them. WH2
[signature]
We went back out yesterday around 3:00pm and had around the same luck a few more bites than the day before but still not good. We caught fish in 15-22' of water on same jig heads. We ended up catching 3 eyes and 1 big carp.
[signature]
Has anyone tried throwing jigs in the early mornings and late evenings on the west dike? That is how i pounded them last year but it doesn't sound like they showed up like last year. Any answers?
[signature]