Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walleye and Bass
I am thinking of trying my luck at the eyes and bass out at Willard I have not fished for bass or eyes in years can anyone give me some helpfull advise?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]First of all, welcome to our playroom. Hope we can help you get into some of those wascally wipers and walleyes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I don't know how long you have been reading our posts, but if you have just found us, we have some archives of most of the most popular waters. The one that has back posts for both Willard and Utah Lake is [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=86;"]CLICK HERE[/url]. I suggest that you go back to find some Willard Bay posts from the months of June through about October each year. Those are the months with the most fishing activity, and those posts usually contain good information on fishing methods, baits and lures, etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You did not mention whether or not you will be fishing from a boat, the bank, tube or pontoon. The good news is that you can catch fish with all of them. However, most of the most successful wiper and walleye fans troll for them, using a variety of lures. Almost any good trolling lure will work at times, but consistently the lures that best resemble the main food source...gizzard shad...work the best. That translates to crank baits and lipless crank baits (RatLTrap) that have black or silver backs and silver or prism bodies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On some days the fish are active and aggressive and want a fast troll...3 MPH or more. Other days they respond better to "low and slow". You have to watch your sonar, to first find the fish and then see where they are holding in the water column. That is mostly for wipers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you want to put some walleye fillets on the table, you can slow way down and drag some crawler harness rigs or plastics slowly near the bottom. That works for walleyes everywhere. However, more than a few nice 'eyes are taken on the standard wiper lures being trolled at higher speeds.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now, go ahead and do your homework and keep reading the reports. We should be seeing some more success soon, if the weather settles down a bit. It is usually after the water temps get over 60 or 70 degrees that the real action gets underway.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I think tube dude said it all and he should know. good luck[Smile]
[signature]