Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preston/Malad area Ice off report
Oxford Reservoir
Completely full and 99%+ of the surface was ice free

Winder Reservoir
Another guy told me it was completely ice free

Twin Lakes
Completely ice free. After making about 20-30 casts with a spinner and not catching anything the F&G hatchery truck pulled up. I put away my fishing pole and took a few pictures. I'll post them when I get my film developed (it might be a couple months). The F&G biologist planting the fish was kind enough to let me pick his brain for a few minutes. Surface temp was 47 degrees. The shallow water close to shore was almost 50 degrees. Twin Lakes was about 5 feet below the high water mark. Even though I didn't catch any fish at Twin Lakes I did get to watch an Osprey catch one. [Smile]

Weston Reservoir
?97%? of the surface was covered with ice. If you have a board to get on the ice you might be able to ice fish it tomorrow but I wouldn't recommend it. There was a 100 square yards of open water on the upper end of the reservoir. Most of the shoreline had less than 3 yards of open water. Weston was completely full with some water going over the spillway.
Water Temp by the dam was 38 degrees and over 50 degrees on the NW end by the inlet.

Deep Creek Reservoir
?85%-90%? of the surface was covered with ice. Most of the shoreline had 5-10 yards of open water. There was a fair amount of open water by the inlets. Water temp from the SSE end of the reservoir was 52 degrees (runoff made this water warmer) Deep Creek was completely full.

Devil Creek Reservoir
?80%? of the surface was covered with ice. Most of the shoreline had about 10 yards of open water. There was a fair amount of open water in a around the boat ramp and on the upper end of the reservoir. Devil Creek was completely full.
[signature]
Brian, have you heard anything on PaliSades? I want to get up there as soon as ice off. Thanks

Bodine
[signature]
I fished Deep Creek today. I caught one 14" rainbow from the bank and then tried float tubing in the open water (about 15% open but melting fast). I didn't even get a bite in my float tube.

After that I drove over to Daniels and it is about 75% open now. I expect it to be completely ice free in the next day or two. I caught 2 small rainbows at Daniels but overall it was very slow for me. There was some other people fishing and having some success, but overall pretty slow.

Weston was still 95% ice covered today. I imagine it will melt in the next week or two.
[signature]
[font "Arial Rounded MT Bold"][#ff4040][size 3]Hey Brian, were they stocking trout in Twin Lakes? I usually make a camping trip up there once a summer (from Salt Lake). We used to catch tons of bluegills and largemouths. Fun little place.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Yes, the F&G were stocking the hayspur (t12) rainbows in Twin Lakes. I didn't put a tape on any fish but most of them looked like they were in the 10"-11" range.

If I remember correctly the F&G guy told me that that three of them would weigh 2lbs. So each of them are 2/3 of a pound. He also told me that they would grow 1"-1 1/2" every month. The F&G guy told me there are no plans to plant any more fish in Twin Lakes in 2006. That doesn't surprise me because the last few years it has only been planted in the spring with the about the same number of rainbows.

Black Crappie were discovered in Twin Lakes a couple years ago. This winter several crappie were put on the ice so it looks like the population may take hold. Twin Lakes can offer some decent fishing but it sure can be crowded during the summer. As you probably know it is a very popular place for jet skiers and water skiers. Considering how small of a body of water Twin Lakes is, it only takes a handfull of boats to put a constant chop on the water.
I guess I can't complain too much because there are other reservoirs in the area that resrict boating.
[signature]
I heard yesterday that Deep Creek is either completely ice free at almost ice free. I also heard that Weston still has a lot of ice. Anybody know for sure?
[signature]
I haven't heard anything lately. Maybe someone else that has more up to date info will answer the question.
We did get a snow storm and the high temperatures yesterday were just above freezing. Either way you could still fish open water in either reservoir.
[signature]
Almost all the lakes are iced out- they are (almost all) pretty dirty.
Treasureton looked like a bowl of coco crispies as did a few others I went to Sat.
[signature]
Did you have any luck at Treasurton? Deep Creek and Daniels also have very dirty water.
[signature]
Treasureton had about 3 days right off the bad that were OK- now it's wait- I will be up listening to what Bill Scheiss has to say about fishing Hernys Sat at the Expo rather than attempting fishing
[signature]
Fished Glendale yesterday just for sh**s and giggles. Water was very high and stained. We tossed lures at the inlet and weedlines down the res with no luck. Trolled some with the same results.

Nice day for a boat ride!

Took a ride up the road along the Bear River and Oneida Res. Heavy runoff still going on. Until I can think of a way to have a chance at the Perch/Bass/Walleye in muddy water, I'll wait until things settle down a bit.

Unless I want to go for another boat ride!
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Fishing in those lakes should start to improve soon.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3]JoyRide, is there alot of walleye and perch in Oneida? I have never been there, but I will try anywhere that has walleye.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Kraizee .... this is the info off the stocking report on the F&G site for Oneida. The numerous carp probably made lunch out of most of these little minnows they stocked, but hopefully some survived. I've marked numerous stacks of fish in Oneida but don't know for sure what they were.

Date Stocked Species Type Size Number
Stocked
06/07/05 Walleye Fry (0-3 Inches) 500,000 05/23/01 Walleye Fry (0-3 Inches) 500,000 05/08/00 Walleye Fry (0-3 Inches) 500,000 05/02/99 Walleye Fry (0-3 Inches) 500,000 04/30/98 Walleye Fry (0-3 Inches) 250,000 04/15/98 Walleye Fry (0-3 Inches) 250,000 04/28/97 Walleye Fry (0-3 Inches) 250,000 04/13/97 Walleye Fry (0-3 Inches) 250,000 04/30/96 Walleye Fry (0-3 Inches) 500,000 04/12/96 Walleye Fry (0-3 Inches) 500,000
[signature]
Sorry about that .... the info looked much more organized before I hit the post reply button. Try this link.

[url "http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/apps/stocking/year.cfm?region=5"]http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/apps/stocking/year.cfm?region=5[/url]
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3]Thanks for the in JoyRide. Hopefully some of them did survive, looked like they stocked quite a few in there. If there were some that survived hopefully they didn't eat all the fry before they got to grow a little.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]