Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey, just joined up and thought I'd introduce myself. I've been flyfishing for about 10 yrs. now mostly on dries that I tie myself, but now am trying to learn how to do all that sub-surface stuff as well so my fishing season doesn't go on hold for very long. It's been tough learning so far but hopefully I'll get over the hump soon and start catching more fish on nymphs and stuff, just can't seem to get used to reading a strike indicator. Oh Well, see ya 'round the boards or on the river.
[signature]
Welcome to BFT!!!
[signature]
Welcome tkidder.
You will be able to get a lot of pointers for nymphing here. As you know, fish feed on nymphs about 80% of the time. You will enjoy fly fishing year round as you develop your nymphing skills.
A few tips for starters are:
Be sure your leader is twice as long as the water is deep. You must be able to contact the bottom of the stream once in a while.
As for the indicator, mend your line so that the indicator is not being pulled but rather dead drifting as is your fly. When you see a hesitation of the indicator, set the hook. It may be a bite or it may be contact with the bottom. It doesn't mater. Set the hook! The indicator may or may not go under on a strike. You may only see the indicator stop, hesitate, or move a little different than normal. In all cases assume it is a bite and set the hook. You will often be able to re-cast in one motion after checking for a bite.
Don't try to cast long casts at first. Keep it short and under control. Longer casts are more difficult to control and set the hook with. Mending your line is the single most important thing that you can do when nymphing. If your fly line is pulling your fly, it won't look natural and the fish will not recognize it as food.
Keep asking questions here and others will give you more and better information. Good luck and keep nymphing!
[signature]
All else fails, there is High Sticking and tight line nymphing. I use to be total dry, but the past several years I have really got into nymphing and it is where the big fish are most the time.
There is a DVD I bought that makes Nymphing REAL easy, if interested, just PM
Welcome! Come on in, the water is fine.
Fly Goddess
[signature]