Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maiden voyage report
Got back awhile ago and as promised, here is the report.

When I got out to the lake this morning it was a cold 25deg but at least I had a cup of hot coffee and the adrenaline to help keep me warm.

Ended up getting out there at about 7:00am and began setting things up. Put the tube in, let it cool and then topped off the tube with a few more pumps of air. Got the waiders on, the flippers on and waited for the brother-in-law to show up. When he did, we got him all ready and launched!

Wooohoooo! I tell you what, it was more comfortable and stable than I could have ever imagined. I quickly learned that turning was harder than I expected but learned that a S-type of kick with a fin would turn me in that direction. The SFC has a ton of room and I was very impressed with the support all around!

After messing around for about 10 minutes or so, I figured it was time to try a few casts. No problems there! Plenty of room and plenty of clearance. After about 10 minutes or so and being amazed at the feeling, I suddenly got a really nice bite. Too bad I was more interested in the tube than fishing at that point. Wish I could have hooked it good. I didn't end up fishing too hard over the 4 hours we were out there.

No fish today but certainly have sore muscles. I must have gone around the lake twice and looking back I am not sure if I ever stopped kicking. Hahahah.

The fish finder worked like a charm, the rod holder worked good (although I need to tighten it up some) and the memory will be around forever. It was so quiet! The geese didn't seem to mind me at all, the ducks didn't care either. We had a few groups of geese come in and land 25 yards from us. That was really cool. (I wish it was goose season) Anyone ever hunt ducks/geese from a float tube? I think I am gonna have to try that. Throw a line out and shoot geese at the same time... heaven.

As I said above, my legs are hurting a bit. Especially the backs of em. It was a great workout.

Ohh, and here are a few photos of the craft.....

[img][Image: t9eg4w.jpg]

[Image: t9eiad.jpg]

[Image: t9eidt.jpg]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Way to go, Bro. You are official now. Don't fret the fishin' part. That will come soon enough. I usually advise newbies to get checked out on their craft before putting too much emphasis on the fishing. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Learning to maneuver can be tricky. Sounds like you got it figured out. After while it is all natural...hands free fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You do have to either be in shape or get in shape for serious tubing. It may seem like "passive" exercise, but the leg cramps are anything but passive. It's good fer ya.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Cast and blast? Lots of fisherfolk are hunters and vice versa. If you can figure out a way to safely and conveniently carry your favorite scattergun afloat, there is no reason not to drop a few birds in between fish. There are actually several model float tubes and pontoons that are available in camoflage. I always thought that was so your wife would have more trouble finding you. Just don't go hunting elephants from your tube. Carrying the decoys will kill you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Nice job on setting up your new toy. I seem to recognize a few of those ideas. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
You got it! I rig my fishfinder up like you, that cup holder in the front. I use a Fishing Buddy fishfinder tube mount for my transducer, but basically cause I already had one. I like the PVC/Bungie, that works. I also use the Scotty tube holders for Fly Rods and point them back, but I only Fly Fish and I have to keep the rods out of the way specially on windy days. I would hove fly line all over the place if I had them right next to me hahahahahahaha.

By the way, Only a little ice left on Jordanelle and noticed a pontooner out there today on my way home from the middle.
[signature]
Yep, between this and elk hunting I should have legs like trees. If I do the goose hunting thing, I will paint this tube camo using an airbrush. I have done it on plastics before and you can get it to stick pretty good. Also, I would build a gun rack.

Thanks for the ideas tubedude! You are certainly a generous and kind with the ides. I hope I can give you a few ideas moving forward, or backwards in the case of tubing. Let me know when you book is done. I'll take at least one copy. Especially if the author autographs them.... [Smile]

Flygoddess, what do you mount your to in the cup holder? On mine, I took a piece of 4x4 redwood and cut it to 4". Then I drilled pilot holes in it for wood crews and screwed the mount to it. On the bottom of the wood block about 1/2inch up I drilled a 1/4" hole side ways through it and ran a zip tie through. As I set it in the cup holder, there is velcro underneath that runs perpendicular to the zip tie. I undid the velcro and slipped it in between the zip tie and the bottom of the wood block. There is no way that it can fall out or slide around. Also, all the wires on it are zip-tied together so no loose wires.

One thing I did notice was that where my waders rubbed against the seat or sides sometimes, it made a bunch of noise. I think I will have to put some cloth over those ares so this noise doesn't happen.

Also, I learned that I shouldn't consume 32oz of coffee before getting into the tube. Wow! I had to evacuate the crafty twice to goto the little fishermans room. Hahah.... almost fell on my butt trying to get back in once.

I really feel like going out tonight after the wife and kiddo goto sleep. Ain't addidction great?

Over the next few months, some more modifications will be added to the tube. Maybe, sattelite TV, fridge, internet....
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 4]My fish finder is mounted to an aluminum plate with a downward lip on one side for my kickboat. So I can stick the lip in the cup holder and it is big enough to stretch the cup holder and holds in place real nice.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Nice set-up. You really will be addicted now. Wait till a big smallie tows you around. I have my sonar set up very similarly with one modification. I installed the sonar mount to the bock of wood with a single hole drilled in the middle of the mount. I then bolted down the mount with bushings on each side. This allows the entire monitor to be rotated to adjust to changing light and postural positions. It works great on a fishmark 320, but it may not work on a buddy.

I also went out today for a couple hours after work to give my (fat)cat some exercise, do a shakedown on my seat modifications, and to try out my new waders. I am happy to report that I think my new seat modifcations will do the trick. I also tried out my new Simms classic guides today. That Gore-tex is amazing stuff. Thanks to all who gave me input on these two issues. I am ready for summer.[Wink]

FG, good news on Jordanelle! Do I feel a flotilla coming soon?
[signature]
Great looking setup, Zias. Now that I see the color I see your point. It oughta get the attention of those water skiers and PWC idiots that don't watch where they're going.

The road to a suitably equipped float tube is sure shorter with all the help available here.

zonker
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good work. I have a suggestion on your camo job. Rather than spoil that purty yaller color with paint, how about just buying some cheap camo material at the Army Navy store and doing a temporary topside wrap when you go hunting. Easily removable after the shoot. I have know guys that just bet a big military camo poncho and lay it out over them and the tube when the birds are flying.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When the book is finished, I will definitely autograph all copies sent to BFTers. That should reduce the value, if not the price.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Zias,

Thanks man! Your'e gonna like it around here. It didn't take you long to go to school on some of the niceties to "trick out" your tube. Welcome to the board.

By the way, I would second Tube Dude's recommendation on the camouflage. With that option you still have the high visibility factor when you might require it.
[signature]