Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the best way to sharpen hooks?
Is there an easy tool for it out there? Especially for treble hooks? I'm thinking a quick way, like when out on the water, and faster than changing hooks...
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there snook.hooker. You know that since the only thing between you and the fish is a sharp hook, you shouldn't be in such a rush. I carry a super fine file and stone. For a touch up the stone works well. If more attention is needed the file is my answer. The size of the sharpening tool is key for handling very small hooks. Now I have never seen a sharpening devise to handle all points of a treble hook at once. This said one can touch up their hook faster that replacing it. At least I can.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[Image: electric_hook_sharpener_jig_buster.jpg]
That's the electric version that you can get from basspro or cabelas. It's like 12 bucks. There is also a nifty manual hook sharpener for around the same price
[Image: hook_sharpeners.jpg]

I found both at this link:

[url "http://store.tackletogo.com/raelhoshjigb.html"]http://store.tackletogo.com/raelhoshjigb.html[/url]
[signature]
just what i was going to say
[signature]
Thanks, T4! I found the electric one on Ebay and got it for fifty cents... plus $11.33 S&H (I guess that's where he makes his profit). So you were right "around $12". I'll report back on how it works. I'm really curious to see if it will work with the octopus/circle hooks that are at an angle at the point.
[signature]
Mmmmm, i've yet to find a way to sharpen a circle hook and still have it keep it's "form." I'm pretty sure that dooma hicky won't work but for regular shank hooks. The only hooks I even bother to sharped are the larger hooks I use on some of my trolling lures or something like my 8/0 or larger hooks I use for sharks and other stuff. The smaller hooks I just can when they get rusty or dull.

I've got a pretty smooth set up I use to where all my hooks, no matter what rig i'm using, can be changed with the snap of a swivel. I'll see if I can draw it on Microsoft paint and post it for all to see.
[signature]