Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Quiz ... and a surprise catch.
[black][size 3]Where were we ?[/size][/black]

[black][size 3]Looking south[/size][/black].
[inline 0010R.JPG]

[black][size 3]Looking west[/size][/black].
[inline 0022R.JPG]

[black][size 3]Looking east[/size][/black].
[inline 0001R.JPG]

[black][size 3]BONUS ROUND[/size][/black].

[black][size 3]The surprise catch[/size][/black].
[inline 0015R.JPG]

[black][size 3]We were tracking some wildlife and this is what the hounds found. They had never smelled one before and didn't quite know what to make of it.[/size][/black]
[signature]
I'm going to go out on a limb on this one....Earth[Wink] I really have no clue, but it looks nice. I'll bet you were surprised to see that Llama! I think it might be just a tad smaller than your puppies! Now the important question...did you catch any fish?
[signature]
[font "Arial Rounded MT Bold"][#ff4040][size 3]Somewhere in UT I think, but who cares where it is. Looks like a nice place to go and get away from all the city folk.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
rush lake.
[signature]
It look like Piute Res to me.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Yes, it was specifically the Utah part of earth.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3] [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I was surprised - to say the least. Actually the hounds ran into it before I saw it, and when I saw the encounter ensuing, I had to laugh. The Llama wasn't afraid and looked like it was trying to get the hounds to play. They didn't know what the heck that thing was - it wasn't a deer, elk, moose, antelope, bison, cow, sheep, goat or any other big grazer that they knew of and had run into before, so they were perplexed.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]When I came over the ridge, and saw the three of them romping like puppies, I called to the boys so the wouldn't harass the wildlife, and, immediately the Llama ran right over to where I could pet it, and delivered the hounds to me and gave me a look as if to say "are these your dogs?". That darn Llama was tame, smart and voice trained(at least it looked more so than my hounds).[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Oh yeah, the fish. It was way too windy(this lake seems to always have it's share of wind) all week to cast a fly, so I used the hardware options. The lake is at near full pond(90+%, it's still filling and they are letting out a lot of water). The water temp was around 49-51 on the surface. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Thursday - only fished for about an hour on an afternoon/evening hike with the hounds on the beach right after the rain - tried a worm and got no fish. Talked to other anglers on the lake and nobody was catching anything on anything(it can be quite a finicky pond for fishing, and when the wind picks up, most people pack up).[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Friday - fished three hours right next to camp in the morning and the water was only 2-3 feet deep(see photo 2) with lots of flooded brush and trees(where I donated some tackle) and the only thing there, were some micro dinks - I used a fly under a bubble. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Saturday - Hiked a long ways to a spot adjacent to deeper water and the fishing improved. I used spinners, spoons and plugs. Caught were a 14 +/- inch cutt(kind of skinny but acceptable) and about a 4.5 lb. rainbow - both way too tasty looking to just let go.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Yea not to surprised with the reaction the Llama gave you or your puppies. Llamas and Donkeys have pretty simular attitudes concerning K'9s in the fact that they don't fear them. Thats why you will often see either or species mixed in with herds of sheep. There good at keeping away coyotes and your single occasional wolf.
[signature]
It looks like Piute Reservoir...right now the reservoir is not overly loaded with fish, but the ones in there are pretty big. Fishing is going to be tough until more fish are stocked...for more fishing luck go to Otter Creek or Minersville.
[signature]
I will have to cast my vote for piute res. also
[signature]
[black][size 3]Yes, it is Piute Reservoir. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Looking north[/size][/black]
[inline 0009R.JPG]

[black][size 3]The Piute Reservoir State Park - To the right(east) and at the bottom of that small dark peak, is the boat ramp and dam.[/size][/black]
[inline 0067R.JPG]

[black][size 3]An action shot[/size][/black]
[inline 0054R.JPG]

[black][size 3]That handy previously(it had been there for quite some time) discarded green bottle was my fish indicator - it never did indicate anything but strong wind gusts later on in the day.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Hey UB heres a link that can help ya with some info.

[url "http://www.stateparks.utah.gov/park_pages/parkpage.php?id=psp"]http://www.stateparks.utah.gov/park_pages/parkpage.php?id=psp[/url]

man I would rather be fishing than stuck in this office!
[signature]
That looks like a good place for me to go visit. What kind of fish is in there? and sizes?
[signature]
Piute is historically a big rainbow water...however, recent drought and rotenone poisonings have kept it in check the past few years. Last year was the first year in a while that the fishing actually started coming back...right now there are not lots of fish in it, but the rainbows are growing pretty quickly and are already 2-5 pounds. Piute has also been a good smallmouth bass fishery and will put out nice bass at times. The bass right now, though, are pretty few and far between. They need time to replenish the reservoir; it shouldn't take too long.
[signature]