Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba yesterday
Fished Yuba again yesterday and we smell like a skunk. Can't even get the troutskies & perchies to play. Water is still 48 degrees on the damn end - went up river and found 51 degree water and fish stacked up in the river channel but nothing wanted to bite. Tried everything but the kitchen sink with no takers. Pretty frustrating waiting on that place to turn on.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Even though there is no suitable spawning gravel in the river, there is current. That brings the egg laden rainbows into the river where they will probably drop their eggs even if the spawn will not be successful. Of course the free caviar brings all the other fish in too. But, they are not going to be active or looking for other food until the water warms a tad.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am anxious to see how the fathead minnows act this year. I suspect they will swarm the shoreline brush for spawning and that we will see bajillions of them again after late summer. They will then again be the big draw for the rainbows, perch, walleyes and northern pike down near the damn. There should be some 8-10 pound rainbows come out of there this year.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
When do you think the fishing will change for the better at Yuba? Thanks
[cool][#0000ff]Man, if my crystal ball was working that well, I could retire as a rich consultant.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are two negative factors working against us impatient fishermen right now. Trout, perch and walleye are all just finishing their spawn or just in the middle of it. Most fish don't feed as much during the spawn. The other thing is lower water temps. That keeps the metabolism of the fish down, and they eat less.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some years we have a mild March and April and the fishing gets better sooner, as the spawn ends more quickly and the water warms up to get the fish more active. In years like this one the fish are turned off by one front after another moving through and the water temps keeping them less active.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The only problem is that we fishermen are not as patient as the fish. We are all jazzed up to go fishing and we get fishing pox and cabin fever while griping about the lousy weathermen.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are not many years in Utah where you can count on GOOD fishing, for any species, before about the last of April. Lots of fish do not enter their active post-spawn feeding period until after the first of May.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We have had just enough warm weather that the water temps are getting to 50 or more on most lowland lakes. There will be a marked improvement when the daytime temps reach 55-60 and it will be gangbusters when the temps jump over the 60 degree mark. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Give us a good solid week of sunshine and daytime temps over the 70 degree range and we will all be smiling again.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the tricks I learned from an oldtimer a long time ago, for fishing this time of year, is to look for shallow coves on the north side of a lake. These spots catch more warming sunshine and are protected from cooling north breezes. Fish search out the areas with even a couple of degrees more warmth.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the same vein, fishing in the late afternoon or evening after a calm warm day is often better than hitting the water at daybreak. The water is warmer in the latter part of the day...and that has nothing to do with religion.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A final suggestion is to fish "low and slow". Use smaller baits and lures and fish them closer to the bottom, with less motion. Make it easy for a poor cold fish to catch and eat what you are offering. It is surprising how large fish will often hit small lures this time of year. I've caught some big largemouth, walleyes and catfish in the cold water months by fishing small tube jigs, just like I was fishing for crappies. Save the big lures and fast trolling for May and June.[/#0000ff]
[signature]