Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tag and release or frying pan?
I know when I first started fishing back in the day, if someone said "tag and release," I looked at them side ways. Now a days, it's becoming more popular, especially for the big game saltwater anglers targeting Pelagic species like Marlin or sailfish. But it's also filtering down to the smaller game species as well, along with sharks and even fresh water species like bass and carp.

How many of you actually practice tag and release. How many of you report the info if you catch a tagged fish? There is two parts to this survey and multiple answers are allowed.
[signature]
I practice C&R on most of my fish, but if it's good tasteing, cod,fluke,stripers then it's in the freezer. We have slot limits and you throw back alot you catch.So I don't feel bad keeping whats legal.
[signature]
Where would you get tags? I frequently get oversize snook and redfish, and some goliath grouper, that always go back (no, I do NOT 'fillet and release'!). I'd be willing to tag them if I had some.

I don't keep all the legal fish I catch, but I do keep a lot of them. I eat so much fish I could pass for a seal or dolphin...
[signature]
Well, here in SC the tags & equipment are free and provided by our DNR. Check out this link:

[url "http://www.dnr.sc.gov/marine/pub/seascience/tagfish.html"]http://www.dnr.sc.gov/marine/pub/seascience/tagfish.html[/url]

However, I went to the Florida fish and wildlife site and they offer no such thing. So what I did was send them an email and asked them what the deal is with that. When I get a Reply, i'll letcha know what's up.
[signature]
When it comes to freshwater, I CPR (Catch, Photograph, and Release) all of my LMB, small and oversized native Trout and any cats exceeding the 12lb limit. Our Dept of Fish and Game in CA doesn't have much of a tagging program for freshwater.

When it comes to saltwater, the Cali DFG does do tagging trips. Somehow I got on their list and get free fishing trips about every 3 months with them and a Biologist to Catch, Tag & Release.

I like the Saltwater trips more because we get to fish some of the Conservation and Zero fishing Closures.

When I am on the Open Party Boats I catch more fish than my limit only to help fill sacks for those who are getting their fish cleaned. That helps the Deckhands and gives me something to do to keep from getting bored after catching my own limit.

Of coarse, any undersized species, long growth rate or any protected species are always returned to the water as quick as possible.[cool]
[signature]