Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear lake
Fished bear lake yesterday the 12th with my son and his girlfriend. It was her first time fishing since she was 12 years old. Needless to say she out fished both of us.[blush] Jeni caught 7 I caught 6 and my son todd caught 3 for a total of 16. All the fish were cutthroats ranging between 1.5 lbs to 5 lbs. It was a great day a little chilly breeze but not bad. I posted some pics of yesterday and a couple from last week. Also a pic of my 28 pound gorge mack I got back from the taxidermist a couple of weeks ago. Enjoy

Bodine

PS: and a picture of my fishing craft hope they come out ok
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] Hey bodine, Great shots. So what were you dragging for a lure or bait? looks like you all had a good day. I just got my boat out of the mud , so won't be long for me to get up there and join in the fun.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Hey Dan hows it going? Yes it was a beautiful day we just havn't had very many latley. We were trolling rapalas. I don't use bait anymore. Just makes my hands smelly.[Wink]

Bodine
[signature]
Hey nice pics. I am hoping to get out there this week end. I hope the weather isnt to bad.
[signature]
Looks like the Bear was friendly to the "new" fisherwoman. Glad you guys could get into some fish. That Mac is a beaut! Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Nice report Jeff, looks like the water was nice and calm. What is the water temps up to? Nice looking FG mack, how much did it cost per inch to have it mounted?
[signature]
[font "Cooper Black"][#ff4040][size 3]Hey great report! Looks like you guys did pretty good. I have never fished Bear Lake before (don't know anybody that does). Looks like a pretty good place. [/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Hey curt hows it going? The water temp is 36 degrees. Its warming up slowly. Taximan was the taxidermist that mounted the fish he does real good work. It was $11.00 an inch which is reasonable. My next goal is a 35 lber.
[signature]
Its good to know that one of the guys on the site does good taxidermist work, how long did it take and is it a plastic or skin mount?
[signature]
It is a skin mount. Took about 7 months but was well worth it. I would recomend taximan to everyone.

Bodine
[signature]
Thanks for the info Jeff. I hope I get a chance to get one of those big fish mounted this year. Just so I do it right, can you share what you did, as far as taking care of the fish once you caught it and before you got it to Taximan?
[signature]
I caught it about midday. If you plan on continuing fishing keep the fish in the water at all times. When you pull it in the boat to leave or relocate I have a large beach towell I carry with me. I get it wet and wrap the fish in it laying the fish flat on the bottom of the boat. We still had 4 days to fish so I asked the Cheveron station if we could put the fish in there walk in cooler. They were kind enough to let me. I wrapped the fish in 2 large plastic garbage sacks making sure to seal it well so it wouldn't freezer burn keeping the fins and tail laying flat at all times. I also carry a very large cooler so when we left I layed the fish in the cooler and covered it with ice. I kept it froze and delivered it to taximan in the same state within 4 days of returning home. Hope this helps.

Bodine
[signature]
Jeff,

You already know how I feel about your fishing trip, but now you throw that mount in the mix!!!! I think I will just bury my head in sand! LOL

Very nice!

Some day..some day I too will have a trophy catch!
[signature]
Bodine,

Great pictures. Nice mount. Don't see too many that look realistic. He did a great job. Definately helped to take care of the fish before freezing. My dad and bro have lots of skin mounts. Good taxidermist are usually busy so you will have to wait a while but its all worth it when you compare you pictures to your mount, and the mount looks like it just came out of the water. I run through your neck of the woods once in a while. Had Bing paint a bike for me and bought an old truck from him. The Nussbaum bro's are finishing up the paint. Thank god cuz truck building may start creeping into my fishing time and we can't have that [Smile]
[signature]
Great pics!!!
I need some lip grippers like that!
[signature]
Thanks Jeff, sounds like getting the fish to a freezer is very important. Its good to know there is some place at the Gorge that is willing to freeze your fish.
[signature]
Cabelas: $29.99-$79.99

Rapala ProGuide™ Lock 'n Weigh™/Lock 'N Grip ™
[Image: spacer.gif]
[Image: i015492sn01.jpg]
[signature]