Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Bait
I am heading to Idaho to hunt bear in June. In Idaho you can use non-game fish as part of the bait. I live in Utah County and was wondering the best way get a hold of some carp to take on my trip. I know Utah Lake if full of them. Where it the best place to catch some.

Let me know!
[signature]
I know someone out there is an expert carp fisherman....show yourself!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard. If you do not need your bear bait until June, there will be plenty of skewered carp available within the next month. Carp are just staging for their annual "spring fling" around the whole lake. Either shoot a bunch yourself, with bow and arrow, or snag them or whatever. No need to get fancy and it is all legal.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you do not have or shoot a bow, I am sure there are plenty of us who would not mind donating the bloody results of our carnage when we go atwangin'.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The last three trips I have made to Lincoln Beach I have seen several groups of carp gathered on the calm surface early in the morning. Of course, with the first shot or the first snagged fish, they all boogie. But, very soon now they will be thrashin' and splashin' in the shallows, totally oblivious to humans and easy targets for arrows, nets or spears. Heck, some guys just club them with any old whacker.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Stay tune and don't be bashful about inviting yourself along. We are planning an informal "carpathon" or two and everybody is welcome.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hello, I knew a guy that was using Carp for bear bait in Idaho. He had execellent results with ripe carp in five gallon buckets. He would leave and come back in a few days and he said the buckets would be licked clean, no leftovers whatsoever!! Good luck with your bear hunt, hope all goes well, if you get one please post pic's!!Have a great day!!
[signature]
I'm glad to hear that there is a carp killer out there ... I will be watching for the mighty carpathon....When is the best time for me to get out my Easton or my PSC??? It sounds like the fun will begin soon!

Mike
[signature]
Last year we used some form of ocean trash fish my buddy was able to acquire. It was the faulest smelling stuff I have ever smelt, but the bears loved it!!! I think the carp will put off a similar faul smell and the salmon run will be terrible, so I don't think the bears will mind a little carp for an evening meal.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yeah, bears are not known to be picky when it comes to dining. They will eat anything they can find...animal, vegetable, mineral or carp. I'm sure that the "distinctive" odor of carpkind that we find unappealing is like ambrosia to them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Historically, the carp really get busy any time from about the last week of April clear into June, depending on weather. We were still shooting spawners into July last year, with the on-again-off-again weather patterns. I would be willing to bet that if we planned a group slaughter for the first Saturday in May (5/6/06) there would be a better than average chance that it would be right in the middle of some good action.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We can target that date, and then watch both the carp activity and the weather between now and then. Of course, anybody and everybody is free to jump in and shoot up a storm any old time they can find the carp.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Question? Are you going to freeze them for later use, or just let 'em ripen? Not sure I would want to be in the same vehicle with you in that case.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You might consider filleting and freezing a quantity, to reduce bulk, and then thawing them a couple of days ahead of actual need. You could also grind them up and freeze them into blocks, like chum blocks. Just a thought.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As the slaughter draws nigh, you can let us know if you are confident in your own "gathering" abilities or whether you solicit contributions. Maybe a central drop off point. Do you think Deseret Industries would mind if you used one of their boxes for a few days?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Carp as bait for bear?? I've heard corn works better. Oh wait, that only works on Polar Bear.. My bad!
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff4040][size 3]I'd be willing to round you up some carp if you need an extra hand.[cool][/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Don, you got your vegetables mixed up. The joke is about "peas".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You need to go fishing more. You're turning into a veggie.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
LMAO! Pat,, Not the way I heard it.. [laugh]

Yeah,, I see the midges are in full bloom.. Must mean the kitties need a little exercize so its about time to break out old G-pa's boat to try and do my part I suppose. Now if I could only figure out how to catch kittie fish.. [Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]How to catch kitties? Well first you drill a hole in the ice, and spread peas (corn) around the hole. Be careful you don't get caught with corn, 'cause it is illegal to possess while fishing in Utah. Then...[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Wait a minute. Wrong joke.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Sorry ol' buddy,,,I'd never pee's around an ice hole and why I'd choose to sprinkle corn while bear huntin'.. Of course even then its a might risky to sneak up behind bear and give it a swift kick in the corn,,,,.
[signature]