Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring time flies
I was wondering what everyone's opionions were about thier favorite spring time fly. I am the type of fly fisherman that use basiclly 5-10 different flies all year round. Do most of you change what you use with the season?

Fight4not
[signature]
Rivers or stillwater? Yes, I change the flies I use with the season.
[signature]
I am very interested in springtime stillwater flies.
[signature]
I'm about the same as you. I probably only fished 12 or 15 different flies last year (not counting ice flies).
I think the choice of the fly you use mostly depends on where your fishing and what you’re trying to catch. If you give us a more detailed scenario there will be more specific answers.
The San Juan Worm is a popular early season fly. I haven't fished with a San Juan for a few years but there are many guys that use it as their go to fly.
When the water is muddy from spring run off darker colors for streamers can be a good choice.
I also believe that the presentation is more important than what paticular fly you are using.
[signature]
For rivers, I probably change flies more than stillwater. There is the midges, then the BWO then the Green Drakes, terrestrials. PMD's. Stillwater, my favorite is a Gartside softhackle and a nymph on the "Y" connection. I came up with this variation on a soft hackle. Made a boobie softhackle. I think that it will work great this summer or spring on a Type II or the depth charge.

[inline boobie1.jpg]
[signature]
Well if you want my two cents I love Stimulators. We use them primarily in water we know there are fish and don't have or dont want to change to what flies are on the water. For some reason I have success on Orange Stimulators year round in all water types. Take a couple with you and give them a shot and see what you think.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I am really interested in rivers. I fish more often on the river because it is closer to home and I don't have a boat. I usually start out with some sort of stone fly imitation then move to something smaller like a copper john.

Fight4not
[signature]
Various stone fly nymphs and Copper John's are great flies. It sounds like you are fishing only one fly at a time. If your using split shot to weight your Copper John's use a lead wrapped Stone fly nymph instead. Sometimes in can be a pain to nymph with two or three flies but I think it is more effective. I think fish are often attrached by the big stone fly nymph but normally don't want to eat it. Once they have come to get a closer look at the stone fly nymph they see the smaller nymph (copper john, pheasant tail, prince, etc) and decide to eat it. A favorite combination of mine on the Henry's Fork is a black girdle bug (aka rubber leg) and a pheasant tail nymph. I'll often fish a third fly that is significanly different from the first two. Fishing multiple flies at the same time is a great way to see what flies and what size of each pattern the fish like best.

Other flies that I have used while nymphing include brassie nymphs (a couple altered versions), various golden stones and black stones, hare's ear (gold & green), possum & beaver nymphs, no back and probably a couple others that I can't think of right now. A glo bug, san jaun or renegage can also pick up a couple extra fish. I also like the supper X but I fish that differently than I do other nymphs.

Fly shops can give you ideas that you may have never thought of.
Here's a link to a web page of a excellent fly shop. It should give you some ideas of other flies to try.
[url "http://jimmysflyshop.com/fishing_report.htm"]http://jimmysflyshop.com/fishing_report.htm[/url]

Maybe someone else will give you some other ideas of nymphs they like to use in Eastern Idaho. I think it would be interesting to see what others like to use. A #14 pheasant tail nymph that I tie has probably been my most effective nymph.
[signature]