Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Report and Elevations!
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Fishing Report and Conditions at Bear Lake[/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Friday, April 21, 2006[/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3] [/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Bear Lake has been fishing really well for cutthroat trout the past two weeks. The best luck is coming by trolling small "kokanee"-type spoons and rapalas off of downriggers in 65-75 feet of water close to the bottom. Good spots to try are along the east side off the scout camp northward to South Eden and also along Cisco Beach/Rainbow Cove area. Another good spot to try is off the west side of the lake between Swan Creek and Fish Haven Creek. Both tributaries should host spawning runs of fish within the next couple of weeks. Try fishing with flat lines in 20 feet depths even shallower. Use either deep diving crankbaits or rapalas depending on the depths. If fishing shallower than 10 feet, use a rapala, if fishing deeper than 10 feet use a deep diver. Rattles in the bait seem to produce better action) Troll the lure a long way 125' or more behind the boat. You should also consider using side planers in this shallower area. They help to get the lure away from the boat in the shallow water and they do not spook the fish as much. [/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3] [/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Boats can be launched at the Utah State Park Marina, First Point Ramp, or Cisco Beach Ramp. As the water continues to rise, the Rainbow Cove Ramp should also have enough depth in order to launch boats. Finally, shore fishing should be picking up off the Second Point and Cisco Beach areas and off the dikes at the Utah State Park marina. Try early mornings or evenings and cast spoons or deep diving crankbaits to deep water and retrieve them so the lure is close to, or bumping the bottom.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000080][size 3]Bear Lake is currently at 5909.71' which is already higher than the highest point it reached last year. Utah Power and Light hydrologists are predicting the lake will rise to a 'conservative' maximum elevation of 5914' by mid summer.[/size][/#000080][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000080][size 3][/size][/#000080][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000080][size 3]Finally, don't forget to take advantage of the 365 day fishing license. You can buy them on-line at [url "http://www.wildlife.utah.gov"]www.wildlife.utah.gov[/url][/size][/#000080][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000080][size 3][/size][/#000080][/font]
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] Thanks for the report Scott, I am hoping to get up there soon and slay some of those fishies.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Good report Scott!! I sure love to see the lake coming up again. My son and I went wednesday and boated 19 all were cuts with 1 mack weighing 6 lbs. Good day to be out finally.

Bodine

P.S. All fish were released to fight again
[signature]
[Wink] This is good news. Wow, A five vertical foot rise in the bear will make a significant diiffrence up there. Good to here. Thanks for keeping us advised. See ya soon.
[signature]
Scott .... any idea on what this increase will do for the launch ramps at North Beach??
[signature]
Funny you should ask. I checked out the ramps on Sat. morning at the north end. The water is barely reaching the bottom of the ramp at the North Beach jetty (State Park) and you cannot launch there, YET. After the lake rises to the peak around mid summer, I would bet you will be able to launch there. There is another ramp on the west side of the North Beach jetty right where all the inlet water is coming into Bear Lake. This ramp is cabled off right now and you cannot use it. I would be there is a liability issue with PacifiCorp and the ID State Park with this ramp. It is right next to the inflow which is really roaring into the lake right now and it would be difficult and dangerous to launch there even if the ramp was opened. So, hold on for a couple of months and the North Beach ramps may be useable. If not the Rainbow Cove, Cisco Beach and First Point ramps are open for launching right now. Also, the Bear Lake State Park marina in Garden City. I know that doesn't help you out considering you live north of the lake. Lets just keep hoping for more water!
[signature]
It sounds like you would need a white water boat for the "temporary" ramp. The last time I looked at it, it appeared to be breaking up at the water line. Sure would be great if the State ramp was usable again for something besides a driveway. I appreciate the info.
[signature]
Thanks for the report Scott, sounds like a good water year for the Bear. Do you know if that new harbor off Gus Rich point is a private launch? With the lake coming up that much they should be able to use it this year.
[signature]
Hey Curt,

Are you talking about the Ideal beach RV park and Marina???
If so, then I doubt we will get enough water to use the marina there.

There is another launch right off Guss point that is enclosed by rock walls. I do believe that this one is private. There is a private residence at the top of the ramp. Could you imagine??? your own marina to launch from at Bear Lake???
[signature]
Yes, that is the one, I thought it was private but I was hoping someone knew for sure. They must have spent some big $$$ to built it but I just wasn't sure it was private or not. Thanks for the info Pat.
[signature]