Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bowfishing Report 4-22-06
Went down to Utah Lake at 8 AM Saturday morning. Didn't really know what I was doing, but figured it out pretty quick. The water by the airport road is clear down to 2 ft, so I watched the reeds until I saw them moving closer. If you position yourself in front of a small open pool, the carp will come from the reeds into the clear water. With polarized sunglasses, I could see them pretty well.

I missed 20 or so good broadside shots, but when I finally convinced myself that refraction is indeed a scientific truth, I did better. My first carp was about 20 inches, second one was about 24. Both nice and fat. Once the arrows were in, there was no chance of them escaping.

One thing I learned though...patience. Until they're rioting on the surface, it's a waiting game.

BTW, I'm fishing with an ABS rig I picked up at Cabelas. I bought a spool and arrow from Sportsman's Warehouse that I've never used. Whatever they're charging, I'll sell them for $5 less.
[signature]
It's a blast chasing those carp with a bow and you are so right, it will only get better as the water warms. WH2
[signature]
I slipped up to bear river bird refuge on saturday with my bow. I only found one good field that wasn't posted and managed to arrow 5 fat carp. Biggest going 15 lbs, also a 9 and a 7 pounder. Tons of fun. Now I'm loaded up on kitty bait for a while.
[signature]
If you are ever heading out and need a carp killing partner let me know. If I can sneak out I will surely be there. The place I shot a lot of carp at last year is dry right now but maybe the water will find this field again. Let me know and we'll go shoot em up. I don't use special arrows or line, just old aluminums in a field do great. Last year I had more than one time I had three fish on an arrow in one shot.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I drove by that field the other day too and was surprised that there was no water in it. The lake level is higher than last year. But, there was very little flow in the ditch too. I think that is the key.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
When I need catfish bait, I gots me a 'secret' Carp pond.

Can you say, Novell parking lot (across from the East Bay Provo Golf Course)?
[signature]
I drove by there yesterday and wondered about it. Is it the pond on the south side of the Novell campus?
[signature]
The guys at Sportsman's warehouse told me I can't bowfish within city limits. Do you just baitfish at the Novell pond?
[signature]
That is correct. Shooting a bow in city limits would be the same as shooting a gun in city limits (both are firearms) according to most city ordinances. No shooting. Not to mention Novell Security would probably call the police since there are security cameras all over out there. Oh, and yes it is the pond at the south end of the parking lot.

No, I baitfish it. I have done extremely well there with worms as well as wadded up bread. They'll sip bread right off the top of the water on hot summer days, or let it sink to the bottom and wait for them to swim by. If you sneak up on them, you can often see them slurping algae from plants along the shore, and literally dip a worm in front of their noses, wait for them to see it and then suck it in, then set the hook and get ready for a ride.

Usually when I need bait I can just run over there, spend about 3 minutes including setup time, and go away with bait for the next few fishing trips.

The canal on the east side of Novell has huge carp in it as well.
[signature]
Bowfishing sounds like a lot of fun! Cant wait to try it myself!!
[signature]