Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't get burned
[font "Comic Sans MS"][purple]Warm weather is upon us. Be prepared this year with bug repellent. Just remember DEET (which is in most good bug spray) will eat your fly line, so be careful.[/purple][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][purple]Anyone got some great brands to look for?[/purple][/font]
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hey there FGD- thanks for the heads up on the Deets. I have been keeping a small spray can in my tackle box. I guess it is time to find it a new home.[/size][/green][/font] [/center]
[signature]
Hi flygoddess,

Fly fishing the surf for barred surf perch and yellow fin croaker, the only bugs I have to worry about are those darn sand fleas! Ouch!

JapanRon
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][Wink]Hey there JR - would that be something like a Bar Fly??[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
thanks for the tip .
[signature]
you aint kiddin,

its gettin so as we cant walk out the door any more.
why with the winter flu bug, mosquetos and black flys not to mention them horse flys, and now we got them seagulls we have to watch out for, man now I have to carry a pocket umbrella for my millers brand soda....

remember the only way to get the bird flue is to kiss a bird on the butt, or having a little extra tom collins mix from the sky fall in to your cup...

I agree... cutters makes a nice wipe that you can throw in your vest pocket, box, even pants pocket, they are protected by a foil wrapper so there is no leeks in your box. Just remember to wash your hands before you eat, that stuff can not only taist bitter is can pack a wallop...

dont wipe or spray your pets, they will lick them selves and become ill, it takes less to do harm to them than it would for us....
[signature]
When camping in area's with a lot of water, I have always sprayed my dog, it has never caused a problem.
[signature]
that works just so long as you dont have a licker....[shocked]
[signature]
thanks for the tip! didn't know deet would do that.
[signature]
Die from West Nile Virus or replace my line. Hmmmmm....

Deet is the only repellant proven to be effective for several hours out doors. It is the recommendation of the Center for Dsease Control for anthing other than exposures of less than an hour.

People over 50 have a lot higher propensity to die from a West Nile Virus bout than younger people.

Here is a page with information about Deet and links to WebMD pages and CDC pages. It also has a short story of a guy getting West Nile Virus from while fly fishing.

You may want to wipe the stuff off your palms and hands real well instead of trying to use other repellants. Use a repellant with less deet and apply more often maybe. The CDC says using a repellant with more than 50% deet does not provide any more protection. I think the recommended concentration for long exposure is 25 to 35%.

[url "http://www.westdenvertu.org/Fishing.htm#virus"]http://www.westdenvertu.org/Fishing.htm#virus[/url]
[signature]