Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WHAT'S MY RIDE?
[cool] [font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Hey, fellow float tubers. Here's something to maybe start a little chatter. We have already shared some opinions on favorite craft, but let's get more focused and specific. I'm finalizing some reviews for my upcoming book on tubing, and I have a lot of my own personal opinions (don't we all). I would like to get some input from tubers who have their own ideas based on the type of fishing they do...or would like to do.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Here's my three part question: 1. What are you fishing from (mostly) at present? 2. What was the main reason you bought your current craft? 3. If money was not a consideration, what would you rather have, as your next "ride"?[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Me first. I have several different round tubes and "graduated" to a Kennebec (Trout Unlimited) about a year ago. I bought it, rather than an Outcast (my first choice...but pricey), for the perceived advantages of better/higher flotation and elevated seating. After fishing it heavily for the past year, I don't like the stabilizer bar arrangement, the pocket sizes and weak zippers, the flimsy vinyl air bladders and the boston air valves.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]My next acquisition will be the Outcast Super Fat Cat, regardless of the price. I have done my "due diligence" and I see this rig as providing the quality, pocket sizes and other features that I will be able to enjoy for a few seasons. It also has plenty of D rings, strategically placed, to allow me to hang all my "goodies" (rod rack, sonar, live basket, etc.) off the craft without having to just lash everything down.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]How about it? Let's hear some other opinions. All are welcome.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I have an old caddis tube, I bought it because it was cheap. And if I had my choice of "craft" It would be a new princecraft with a yamaha 150 TRP! No fins attached. No seriously, that cheap little tube may not have been fancy but it caught me a ton of fish. If I had to do it all over again, I probably wouldnt change much.
[signature]
[cool] No arguments with the Caddis, Predator. In my archives of pics taken over the years, there are a lot of different Caddis tubes. For the money, you can't beat them, and they are well made at any price. For anyone just getting into the float tubing game...or where the budget is a consideration...you can't do much better than the lowest price Caddis.

Some of the newer model Caddis craft...like the Navigators...are good values in the "mini-pontoon" class too. My only negative view is that they still have you sitting low in the water. Most of the new kick boats styles raise the seat a few inches to provide better propulsion, warmer fishing in cold water and more efficient casting and vision.

Appreciate the input Predator. But, about the Yamaha 150. I'm assuming the Princecraft is a boat. That's okay. The largest outboard I would recommend on a donut dinghy would maybe be a 60 HP. That would definitely get you up on plane.
[signature]

Hey there TubeDude,

Question #1: Right now I'm using a U-boat, WoodStream Stealthrider Deluxe.
Question #2: I had an original U-boat and loved it. Fished only freshwater at the time.
Question #3: Outcast Super Cat ....... OR..... I might go ahead and get a starter SOT kayak before I replace the stealthrider for ocean fishing.

Some harbor regulations here in southern california are getting tougher and there will come a time when some marinas and harbors will not allow use of float tubes and kick boats. MDR harbor/marina as one example.

tsurikichi
a.k.a.JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]You're ridin' in style. Good craft.

Too bad about getting over-regulated. Of course, MDR takes itself far too seriously anyway. Maybe if we can get some Gucci float-boats...or wear a lot of jewelry while fishing...they might lighten up. I wonder if there' a mink vest available anywhere.

Thanks for the input, JR. How's the fishing these days?
[signature]

Hey there TubeDude,

Unfortunately the trend has started. King Harbor in Redondo Beach has also been closed for years and as of Feb. 1st Dana Point Harbor will be closed to kayak and float tubes during the weekends, and soon after that weekdays too. Ya, the harbor patrol/sheriffs want 100% public safety! i.e. no persons near the harbor at any time, that's NOBODY!. Won't they have a good, comfy job when all those assigned to harbor patrol have to do is chase people out the harbor! Right now it's fishing. Next, I'll bet you can't travel from inside the harbor to the outside either.

Within a few years, every sheriffs department in southern California with pick this up and have it as their goal to make the work load light, light, lighter in the end.

No problem, we'll just go somewhere else until the authorities have run out of places to bar us from going. What's happening is not really something to take lightly if you've tasted the freedom of bygone years and read '1984'.

So much for those upbeat comments, ha ha

Hope we get some good info on newer tubes.

tsurikichi,

PS According to a post on allcoast, even animal control officers think their job includes checking fisherman for fishing licenses!!!!!!!!
[signature]
[cool] Wow. Must have caught you on a bad day. Sorry if I got your dandruff up. The bad news is that you are probably an optimist and the reality will be worse than we can imagine.

You touched on a point that I have been observing around the country for years. That is that we are all paying more and more for less and less. Wherever we pay for our pleasures, the "public servants" or appointed management seems to let their responsibilities get skewed. They adopt the attitude that their divine positions put them above rendering service to those they serve...but instead require them to restrict the amount of potential work they perform.

I'm in the franchise restaurant industry, and we have a close corollary. We tell our owners not to make any of their employees "managers"...for on the day they do, they will see no more productivity. Managers and public servants are exalted beings who should do no work.

There are arguments for the safety of the general public, but in the case of lowly fishermen, it is more a matter of the inconvenience we cause to those in big expensive craft that pay the big moorage fees and throw the parties with lots of free food, booze and.....

California has long been perceived as a leader in many trends. Let's hope they don't create too many precedents that spread throughout the civilized portions of the country. As "flotation fishing" increases in popularity and our numbers increase, we are more visible and subject to more regulation. I'd like to see that work to our advantage, rather than otherwise.

On a more positive note, I am in the middle of some email discussions with Outcast right now, about either co-publishing or at least sponsoring a good part of my book (if there is a good part). Might be able to wangle some discounts for "field testing"...or at least club memberships. Let's hope.

I'll wind up my little tirade with a note on PETA. As many of us are aware, they are taking shots at fishing now too. But, you know why they are more active against wearing furs, than just leather? They found out it ain't as dangerous to hassle old ladies wearing furs as it is to take on the bikers in their leathers.
[signature]

Hey there TubeDude,

Sorry about making so much noise about something we can do little about. ha ha ha Bad day? Nope, that's just my personality. People always ask that upon reading my posts on subjects I have a stong, judgemental stand. And..... I take no offence. I am not really a nut case that dwells on real or imagined injustices taken personally. It just seems so sometimes! ha ha

Hope to hear about more guys setups,

tsurikichi
[signature]
[#800000][size 2]Hey buddy, thx for the care pkg. I'll wait eagerly next to the mailbox. [/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2]In december, I over inflated my caddis. I blew up or out(its a point of view thing) the inner tube plus the nylon shell at the gas station. I need to pay attention and not pervin' the chicks when I'm inflating tubes(add your own jokes as needed).[/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2]I still have my Griggs v-6000 V-tube. But, I tend to stay dryer and move faster in my bass boat. It has better fishfinders and a smaller livewells(stringer). [/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2]tomegun[/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2][/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2][/size][/#800000]
[signature]
[cool] How many times I gotta tell you kids? You put too much air in those balloons, they gonna pop. I know, because I have proved it myself.

There have been more than a few donuts pop their seams due to the law of physics that says air expands when it gets warmer. Whenever you air the tube up tight, in cool surroundings, and then leave it in the sun...or a hot room, there is the potential for disaster. I was toolin' down the road, on the way home from an early morning trip one time, and didn't think to let some air out of my craft before putting it in the back of my vehicle. The hot sun beat down on it, through the back windows, and all of a sudden it sounded like I took a hit from a missile. Took me a few seconds to restart my heart, get my rig running straight down the highway again and to check for damage in my "laundry".

Another time I brought in a tube from the cold garage, aired it up tight and let it sit in my hall, ready for a fast getaway the following morning. After it had been sitting in the heated house for awhile I started hearing a POP...POP...POP. It sounded like someone throwing rocks against my door so I went to look. Just then, the rest of the stitches on the cover cut loose and it resigned from active duty.

In Arizona, it is not uncommon to launch in 80 degree morning temperatures ...for both air and water...and then have the air temp rise to a hundred by mid morning. If your craft swells too much in the hot sun, you could be walking back to shore. Split air bladders don't allow you the same time to beat a retreat as a slow leak. Hasn't happened to me, because I watch it closely, but I "heard tell" of it happening to another guy last year.

So, Tomegun, my friend, watch what you are doing when airing up your tube. Don't be watching the young girls. Remember...an old dog doesn't need new tricks.
[signature]