Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daniels?
Anybody been to Daniels in the last week or so? I am thinking about trying it this Saturday. Any tips you have would be appreciated.
[signature]
There is a 75% chance I will be there tomorrow unless I stop by a lake closer. I will post Friday where I went.
[signature]
Report- decent fishing- fished shallow (shoreline) early- did fairly well.
Fished deeper later- did fairly well.
Stopped by another small lake that way and also did well.
1. Flashback scud
2. Black and peacock with red crytal flash mixed in
3. Golden Damsel
all caught fish
[signature]
Thanks for the report! I will be there tomorrow giving it a try. Were you fishing with floating line or sinking line?
[signature]
Also, is the water starting to clear up?
[signature]
Water was certainly clearing up from the last time I was there. I actually used 3 different lines - all were sinking.
[signature]
I spent a couple of hours at Daniels on Saturday and between 4 of us, we didn't even get a bite! I obviously don't know how to fish that reseviour. We were fishing with intermediate sinking line from our float tubes. We tried a bunch of different colors of wooly-buggers, PTs, and scuds.

After Daniels we headed over to Deep Creek and caught about a dozen between the 4 of us. It was pretty slow, but not near as slow as Daniels.
[signature]
In years past,(4 or 5) i have done really well on Sheep Creek Specials. We had a few days 2 years ago with 5 fish apiece. Last year, i only fished it once and that was ice fishing. Another trick up there if you are patient, tie on a size 16-20 pheasant tail and anchor over a known productive spot. Figure out exact bottom and use a slide indicator to keep it within a foot of the bottom. Just sit and wait. This has been a deadly technique the last few years. Hope this helps some. Good luck
[signature]
Thanks for the help. What is a Sheep Creek special? I am not familiar with that fly. I will have to try the PT technique next time.
[signature]
He's talking Chrominid fishing with a strike indicator ( slipper bobber rig) They have been doing well the last week that way and actually pretty much do well all year that way. I tie up my own leaders for that to make the rig easier to land fish but they do have some fairly new nifty strike indicators for that now. Look up this guy, Brian Chan. Here is a link to one of his articles. [url "http://www.fishbc.com/adventure/angling/protalk/chan/chan.phtml"]http://www.fishbc.com/adventure/angling/protalk/chan/chan.phtml[/url]
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I do not know if I have the patience for this type of fishing but I will give it a try.

Windriver
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I think that you will find that it doesn't require any more patience, than any other type of fishing. If the chironomids or deep nymphing is on, it keeps you plenty busy. I have even caught a second fish with the line dropped back down while reviving the first fish. And it does seem the bigger fish are hanging at the bottom. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I think a Sheep Creek is a peacock body with a wood duck overwing, and I tie with gold rib and red tail.[/size][/black][/font]
[Image: strikeindicator2006.jpg]
These indicators are sold at The Fly Desk (open Monday nights and Saturday day)
Chan's style but, he forgoes the indicator and drops the flie straight down with weight on the tip of the leader, then retrieves very slowly.
[signature]