Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard this morning
Well Beeman2995, Nuggs, and i hit willard this morning from the north marina. Launched at around 7:15 and headed south to their kitty spot. Caught 5 kitties around 3# or so and a ginormous carp. It was pretty slow so we headed out to troll. Got in 16-20' of water and threw on some "go to's", nothing. Headed over to the outlet and started throwing maniacs and other plastics. No bites so i started digging and found a stash of maribou jigs in one of my tackleboxes. Gave one to Beeman and Nuggs(who had never caught a wiper) and we started fishing them. About 15 or 20 minutes later i hooked up on a fat 18 incher. Nothing for another 20 minutes and then a few bumps. All of a sudden Nuggs(Jason) said fish on. At first, we thought maybe a nice eye but it was a beautiful 16 1/2" wiper! Nice job Jason! I am glad you could finally get that off your shoulders. After that a couple good hits but no hookups. I had to leave so back home we went. Bob and Jason decided to stay and i haven't heard from them, so i hope they picked up alot more. Hopefully they will chime in. Heading back out tomorrow with Yper to target some eyes.
[signature]
Sounds like a pretty decent morning on Willard. Congrats to your fishin' bud on hookin' up with his first wiper.
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] Is this normal for the Wipers to be hitting plastics and Jig types of baits instead of the hardbaits. I was thinking that it might be a little early yet for the bite to turn on. What do you guys think. [/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
fished willard this evening from 5pm till 8:30pm with chefwhofishes trolled the feed lot and the south dike got a couple bites but no takers. will be back at it in the morning.
[signature]
This time of year I have had some luck with small plastics,curly tails,small maribou jigs under a casting bobber,fished like for white bass
[signature]
Fished from the rocks tonight from 6:30 to 8:30 not a bite. But to answer your question yes it is normal early in the season to catch wipers on a charteus maribu jig or a pearl white sassy shad. The only problem is one night you can go out a catch fish all night long then the next you go out and get skunked.
[signature]
Yeah we caught them last week on small chartreuse maribou on the north side. Trolled for a few hours tonight with no luck. It was a nice evening though out on Petty's boat. Tried Diving crankbaits around 2.6-3.2 mph w/ no takers. Thanks for the trip Petty, we'll get into them next time. "Water was cool to the touch"
[signature]

Thanks for the report LH2, what were you guys using for the cats? It's great that the catching is finally improving, did you get a reading on the water temp?
[signature]
Nice job, lh. Seems like this has been a week of firsts for a lot of people here! Brought my 5 year old nephew up to Vivian park (up Provo Canyon) to fish for rainbows as he had never caught a fish while fishing with Grandpa. He caught two all by himself and I don't know that I have ever seen someone so excited. It was pretty great and almost--almost made me consider having kids--almost.
[signature]
It was a great day on willard, fished cats untill they slowed down, and as lunkerhunter had to leave soon went to the wipper hole, then hunter ha to be home by 2 , so I took him back while nuggs fished, came back got a couple more wippers, then they got pickie so we went back to the cats but they were not hungery either, ha a few pickups , untill just at dark had a big one on but the tree wanted him more than i did, all in all it was a very nice day on wilard, next week we hit the honey hole in UL for the BIG cats. remember , you can't get any fish if your line is not in the water , oh yes the cats were caught on carp meat and nite crawlers, have to hit the jordon river am about out of carp meat beeman buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
[signature]