Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inboard or Outboard motor?
In your opinion, which one is better?

I've never understood what the advantage of an inboard motor was. Can anyone explain that one? [Tongue]
[signature]
i prefer an outboard for many reasons,1)easier to work on
2)dont have to worry about venting,before starting
3)dont have to worry about the heat risers,oil pan rotting out
4)dont have the engine hatch sticking up in the middle of the deck
5)you can change the way the boat rides easier
to me i think why inboard were favored was that they were quiet,compared to the older 2 stroke out boards.now the new modles are queter than the inboards
[signature]
I'll take an Outboard any day. It gives me more room on my boat to fish.[cool]
[signature]
I been a o/b guy all my life,besides the room factor O/b's are easier to mantain.They are easier to winterzie/unwinterzie.This allows me a longer fishing season.I can get out earlier in the spring and dont have to drain anything or worry about cold nites and freezing temps.The same holds true for fishing in the fall,having a o/b lets me fish til the lake freezes.Plus O/b's are lighter .

I know people with i/bs and there are pros and cons to both.I/b owners dont like the smell or the smoke of a o/b.They say that o/bs are noisy.I do belive that if I was strickly a recreational type of boater,I would perfer a i/b but I like to fish to much.So its O/b all the way for me.
[signature]
When I was growing up my family had a 25 foot something or rather with a Mercruiser inboard motor. I remember that winterizing it was such a pain for my father and when it came time to get a new boat he made sure it had outboard motors on it. I would also have to agree that Outboard motors are so much easier to work on versus the inboard.
[signature]