Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
river fishing and catfish handeling
hi,
I live by this river by my house and i have gone fishing there 7 times and didnt get a bite there is bass ,panfish, and catfish in it. do any of you know what i can use to get a bite and catch some thing. How do you handle cat fish so you dont get stug. thanks crappiemaster
[signature]
we had a discussion about this topic several months back, follow this link to see all the tips on ...

[size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=14495;search_string=stung;#14495"]How do you hold a catfish? [/url][/size]
[signature]
for bass, I would use a repalla, crawler harnes, or a leach.

for the gills a number 6 or 8 hook with a piece of worm or a bug of some type with a bobber and cast not to far from shore up river and let it float down river or you can but a sinker on it and let it sit on the bottom of the river.
[signature]
make sure your fishing near some structure too , weedbeds and logs or trees in the water , just stay about a foot away from them to start with , it will give all the fish hideing in there a clear view of what your offering . the bass start patrolling the shore line about early evening , thats a good time for them .
[signature]
Heres how not to get a cat bite. I make sure the fishes belly is facing me. Grip the belly mid way like you are gripping a baseball, slide youre hand up until you touch the front fins. Loop the right fin, (I'm right handed) between youre index and middle finger, press you thumb up until the left fin is extended forward all the way. This way he can't spin and the dorsal fin is pointing away from you at all times. Works well try it. If you do get stung, I always keep a bar of chewing tobacco in the tackle box, takes the sting right out. If you don't put it in a ziplock it gets moldy, I know.
Hey Lonehunter... just wanted to let you know that I love your animated GIF!

Great tips you've given people also! I always look forward to what you and Dave have to say about fishing.
[signature]
yea that thing fits me to a T , i do a lot of hunting , i never said i was very good at it[Smile] . my first bow hunt a few years back i took three shots at a buck , 25 feet away ! not yards , feet ! first arrow went into the side of the natural blind i was in , second arrow went strait between his rack ( this is a common thing when buck fever sets in , your looking at the rack instead of your target area ) third arrow went right in front of him , the brodhead hit a hardspot in the ground and stood the arrow up , smacking the buck in the nose ! i was out of arrows and he was out of patience , he took off running and jumped right over me . normanly a guy would keep this kind of thing a secret , but my friends were nearby and saw the whole thing . freinds tend to keep you honest in telling a story like this , making sure any dignity you may try to keep is stripped away before i'ts to late . the fifteen minutes it took to empty my quiver has turned into hours of conversation and laughter at most of our weekend hunting excursions .

i've been reading a few of your posts too ! i rank as an amiture in your leage there pal , one thing i havent figured out is how you came up with your logo ? i bet there's got to be a Big Grin story behind it !

your pal lonehunter
[signature]
My logo? You mean my username? Naw, there's really no great story behind it. I grew up in Barstow, CA. The largest beach in California. Nothing but sand and clay far as the eye can see. You're lucky to see water IF it rains (average rainfall is less than 3"/yr). Now I'm in Minnesota and started fishing two years ago. Hehe. Nothing like a desert rat (me) barely surviving in the land of 10,000 lakes.

Trying to get as much info as possible. A well-seasoned fishing partner to teach me the ropes would be really nice. That time will come eventually.
[signature]
you should hook up with hattric and flagmanonice on the minisota board.

take a look at their entries for the ice fishing deryb on the ice fishing contest.

these guys know theier fish, and how to hook um up....[shocked]
[signature]
landing a catfish can be simple, once accomplished a few times. Slide your hand under his belly, palm up. Place your thumb BEHIND his pectoral fin and the other pectoral fin between your INDEX and MIDDLE finger. Try to hold it at a 45 degree angle, head upward. You don't really "get stung" but the fins of a catfish do contain sharp nail-like spikes.
[signature]
Hello Crappie Master,

A little pricy but well worth the money, check out the Boga Grip:

[url "http://www.tackledirect.com/bogagrip.html"]http://www.tackledirect.com/bogagrip.html[/url]
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator