Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
West Side Story 4-29-06
[cool][#0000ff]It wouldn't be a trip with road unless there was some drama. Last night we were both "laughing" about the 20 mph winds on Utah Lake and guessing that they would probably double by morning, when we had planned our trip to The Knolls, on the west side.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The winds weren't too bad, when we got to our launch site just after 6 AM. But, the water was "cool to the touch". Too cool for me to launch without waders. So, I drove back home to get them, where I had left them on the bench...distracted by a telemarketer call the evening before.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I got on the water about 8:30. Road was a gentleman and had not made any casts while I was gone, waiting for me to get started. Yeah, right. He had whipped the water to a froth but had only a couple of hits before I got back.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There was a one foot swell coming in from the south, a remnant of the south winds of the early morning. That made it difficult to fish finesse plastics...or bait. The water was also murky from the big blow last night. Poor for plastics and spinners. But, we tried.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By 10 AM we were both dragging bait as well as casting jigs. We worked in and out, shallow to deep, with only a few snags for results. At 10:15 roads bait rod tip dove down and he grabbed it with the hand opposite the one he was holding his jig rod in. For a minute I didn't know whether he was just gonna throw the jig rod away and fight the cat bending his bait stick. He eventually got it sorted out and put a nice 4.5 pound kitty in his new (to him) fish basket.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]At 10:30 I had an inquiry and reeled in my second rod while the fish took line from the open bail on my bait setup. I picked up that rod, closed the bail and when the line came tight I crossed the eyes on a nice 4# kitty myself. Things looked like they were going to pick up after all.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]At 10:45, road hooked up on his light rod and got pretty thoroughly abused by about a six pound kitty. Masochist that he is, all he could do was grin and say "Let's do that again."[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After a half hour of activity, the kitty bite died. We both dragged all kinds of bait all over the place with only a couple of "pop and drop" inquiries. The lake turned to glass, though and Timp in the background was kinda purty. The snow line is going up fast.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On the slow trip back to the vehicles we watched a few bank tanglers drag in some mud cats, fishing fairly close to the shore. The water temp started out at a cool 56 degrees in the morning, but had warmed to about 62 by the time we beached our craft at 12:30.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Saw a few carp splashing, including one group that rassled for a few minutes right next to shore, but the cooling water still has most of them hanging offshore. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Fun fishing with ya again Marty.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Sounds like the carp are just getting anxious to get busy in the weeds! Gotta get the bow set up for some serious carpin'. Thanks for the report Pat, and I'm glad you guys didn't get skunked!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]My guess is that the up and down temps have them on hold. They usually swarm the shallows when the temp hits about 65. It has bounced off the underside of 65 off and on over the last weeks, but everytime it gets close another arctic blast comes through and chills the water again.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We did see some big fat females launching in the air and smacking down. That is common among egg-laden females of several species as an aid to jarring loose the eggs in their ovaries so they can blast them into the water during the orgies. The carp know it is time to spawn, even if the weatherman doesn't.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Tune that bow and check those arrows. The time is nigh for some blood-lettin'.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Same here Pat I had a ball today. Was tryin to get this post up before you did, but the Mrs *demaned* some of my time <grins>. It must of been a real hoot watching me juggle the two poles there.

Now all I need is a few camera lessons with the new digital and I'll be set. All the picks I took I have one of you and an 11 sec video of well that purdy Timp and an ugly toon. I''l attach the pic and place a link for the video for those who are interested. I know what i did wrong and will correct it on the next outing. Never mind on the video, I guess I need to upload a player for it also.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sounds like you have a basic problem, common to many photographers...a loose nut on the camera.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That picture looks a lot more like Lindon than The Knolls. Poor choice of subject too.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
After I uploaded it and checked it out I said the same thing. Only I can't remember a day that nice that we were at Lindon. But I am sure that is where it was taken.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That pic had to be from our fall trip, just after you got your pontoon. I have not worn that yellow sweatshirt for months.[/#0000ff]
[signature]